Re: [stop-ethanol-trains-in-greater-boston] Digest for stop-ethanol-trains-in-greater-boston@googlegroups.com - 4 Messages in 1 Topic

Annie

Jul 11, 2013, 10:11:58 AM7/11/13
to stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com
What is the bill number or name we're asking Gov. Patric, to sign?

Thanks,
Annie

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 2:20 AM, <stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Group: http://groups.google.com/group/stop-ethanol-trains-in-greater-boston/topics

    Alexandra Kepner <alix....@gmail.com> Jul 10 01:46PM -0400

    Hi, everyone--

    After the excitement of the Chapter 91 amendment making it through the
    conference committee last week, we're now waiting to see whether Governor
    Patrick will sign it into law. Prospects are not looking good. While
    Global Partners has officially withdrawn their proposal for upgrading their
    Revere rail facility, they are strongly lobbying the Governor to veto the
    amendment. Global's stance is that the amendment will destroy the gas &
    oil industry in the Commonwealth. If you have not done so already, PLEASE
    call the Governor's office TODAY (617.725.4005) and urge him to sign the
    bill.

    Meanwhile, you've probably been following the unfolding news story
    regarding the horrific oil-train disaster that took place this past weekend
    in Lac-Megantic, Québec. A 73-car unit train full of Bakken crude heading
    for the Irving terminal in New Brunswick derailed, multiple tanker cars
    exploded, the majority of the downtown area was destroyed, and ~50 people
    were most-likely vaporized. As investigations continue, we've learned that
    the railroad company (Montreal, Maine & Atlantic) was using DOT-111
    tankers, known for their structural vulnerabilities in the event of
    derailment. Many other aspects of inadequate regulation most-likely
    contributed to this accident as well.

    We need to heed the Lac-Megantic accident for the warning it is. Global
    Partners may have withdrawn their proposal for now, but you can bet they're
    going to come back and try again in the near future. An article in today's
    Boston Globe notes a dramatic increase in oil transport by rail:

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/07/09/quebec-tragedy-unlikely-slow-oil-shipments-via-rail/KGKrxeEe84Rixz3R47DFvJ/story.html

    We need to continue to monitor this very important issue--it's not likely
    to go away. I hope we can continue to work on it together.

    In it for the long haul (pun intended),

    --Alix

    Robert Winters <Rob...@rwinters.com> Jul 10 03:02PM -0400

    On 7/10/2013 1:46 PM, Alexandra Kepner wrote:
    > amendment will destroy the gas & oil industry in the Commonwealth. If
    > you have not done so already, PLEASE call the Governor's office TODAY
    > (617.725.4005) and urge him to sign the bill.

    I'm not disputing the possibility that Global Partners is lobbying the
    Governor to veto the amendment, but on what do you base this assertion?
    I was not aware that lobbying efforts are usually known to the public.
    Is this just speculation? Until somebody can convince me otherwise, I
    will assume that Global Partners has not changed their statement issued
    last week that they are "a good company that doesn’t want to go against
    the wishes of the local community." Lobbying to the contrary would go
    against that statement, so I would like to know what the basis is for
    the claim that this lobbying is taking place.

    Robert Winters

    http://cambridgecivic.com/?p=2822

    Alexandra Kepner <alix....@gmail.com> Jul 10 03:09PM -0400

    Members of the Chelsea group met with the Governor's staff yesterday to ask
    that he sign the amendment. Global Partners' reps met with the Governor's
    staff afterwards.

    --Alix

    On Wednesday, July 10, 2013, Robert Winters wrote:

    Robert Winters <Rob...@rwinters.com> Jul 10 03:18PM -0400

    On 7/10/2013 3:09 PM, Alexandra Kepner wrote:
    > Members of the Chelsea group met with the Governor's staff yesterday
    > to ask that he sign the amendment. Global Partners' reps met with the
    > Governor's staff afterwards.

    Who was privy to the discussions between Governor Patrick and the
    representatives from Global Partners? It's quite possible that they were
    discussing alternative options - other locations for their facility, for
    example. I have no way of knowing and I'm perfectly willing to believe
    that Global would still like to build their Revere facility even if the
    plans for rail transport do not materialize.

    Robert Winters