Fwd: Urgent: Ethanol saga not over yet

Alexandra Kepner

Jul 12, 2013, 10:24:45 AM7/12/13
to stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com, eth...@chelseacreekaction.org

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marjorie Decker
Date: Friday, July 12, 2013
Subject: Urgent: Ethanol saga not over yet
To: aske...@yahoo.com

Marjorie Decker
July 12, 2013

Dear friends and neighbors,

I need your help!

Just when we thought we could rest easy over the issue of ethanol trains passing through our community, it has been confirmed that Governor Patrick is planning to veto the amendment to Section 14, Chapter 91 that would have stopped the transportation of large volumes of ethanol.  Global Partners withdrew their application after the House and Senate budget passed this amendment.  By vetoing this amendment, the Governor keeps the door wide open for Global to come back in the near future.

While the Governor expressed technical concerns about the impacts this would have on industry, in fact, he has been provided alternative language that responds to his concerns and would continue to protect us.

I encourage you to call the Governor TODAY and voice your disagreement with his contemplated actions.  Additionally, talk with your friends, family members, and neighbors to ask them to do likewise.

It is my hope the Governor will stand with us in Cambridge and the House and Senate leadership who worked hard to support the efforts of the many legislators who stood up for their communities and people across the Commonwealth.  We need the Governor to do the same.

Contact: Governor Deval Patrick

Phone number: 617-725-4005

Email: Please follow the hyperlink to email the Governor's office: http://www.mass.gov/governor/contact-us.html#email

Below I have also included a letter I am sending to the Governor requesting him to preserve the amendment to Section 14, Chapter 91 and help to keep our communities safe.

Marjorie

Massachusetts State House

Office of the Governor

Room 280

Boston, MA 02133

July 11, 2013

Dear Governor Patrick,

On behalf of the citizens of Cambridge and across the Commonwealth, I am writing to urge you to preserve language in the final budget that you received from the Legislature to protect residents from the transportation of large volumes of ethanol through their communities via rail.  While I am told that you are concerned with the potential unintended consequences on industry related to Chapter 91 Licenses if this were to become law, alternative language has been offered that responds to your concerns and preserves the intent (and public safety) of the Senate and House budget language.  Anything less that focuses on mitigation is to ignore the reality of recent events and our role in protecting the public from hazardous and often fatal avoidable accidents.

Section 14 of Chapter 91 of the Legislature's final budget prohibits the operation of an ethanol storage or blending facility that plans to store or blend more than 5,000 gallons of ethanol per day within one mile of a Census block with a population density greater than 4,000 people per square mile.  Ethanol is a highly flammable and volatile chemical, and poses a significant danger to our family and friends.  Unable to be extinguished with traditional firefighting equipment, it would require our cities to invest in costly alcohol-resistant foam.

The importance of maintaining this crucial amendment has been unfortunately demonstrated nationwide.  In Tiskilwa, Illinois, the derailment of a 126-car train carrying ethanol required the complete evacuation of the nearly-800 person town.  A Massachusetts Department of Transportation safety study estimated that an accident similar to the one experienced in Tiskilwa would require the evacuation of approximately 100,000 residents in Somerville, Cambridge, and surrounding communities. More recently, we were shocked by the tragic and horrific oil-train disaster that occurred last weekend in Lac-Megantic, Québec.  The 73-car unit full of Bakken crude derailed in Québec, causing multiple tanker car explosions and more than 50 fatalities.

I appreciate and thank Global Partners for responding to our communities' concerns and withdrawing its application to transport high volumes of ethanol through our towns.  Residents have expressed their relief and their gratitude for both the inclusion of the amendment to Section 14, Chapter 91 and Global Partners' decision.

However, regardless of Global Partners' decision to no longer pursue its plan, I request that you maintain the amendment as part of the final budget.  Although, narrowly tailored, this amendment represents an important first step in addressing antiquated federal rail laws and identifying new policies for keeping our residents safe.

Please continue to stand with and protect the citizens of the Commonwealth and preserve the intent of the Legislature's budget language.

Sincerely,

Ellin Reisner

Jul 12, 2013, 5:21:45 PM7/12/13
to Alexandra Kepner, John Walkey, stop-ethanol-train...@googlegroups.com