Avalara and SEOM 7.052 Refunds Help

Ryan Fanning

Aug 5, 2022, 2:26:36 PM8/5/22
to Stone Edge User Group
We are currently running SEOM version 7.052 which does not have the new tax integrations in it (best I can tell).  We have an integration with Avalara through Miva which handles all our tax rates for incoming orders but does not handle the refunds for the sales tax when an order is returned automatically.  Does anyone have any options for how to do this other than manually entering a negative transaction into Avalara for every refund?  We are looking into options other than upgrading as it is looking like it will be a 2nd integration with Avalara which we do not want to do if we can avoid it.  Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Jeremy Kocourek

Aug 5, 2022, 3:25:43 PM8/5/22
to Stone Edge User Group
Why are you not wanting to just upgrade Stone Edge and integrate it as well with Avalara?

Timothy Levine

Aug 5, 2022, 3:37:57 PM8/5/22
to Stone Edge User Group

The general best practices are to do uncommitted transactions with Avalara from your cart to get the rate for checkout and send committed transactions from StoneEdge at approval.  I can’t speak how well the current Avalara integration does or doesn’t work or how well it handles returns, but we were able to modify the integration on 7.119 to the point where it works extremely well.

Farrukh Rehman

Aug 7, 2022, 2:13:29 AM8/7/22
to Ryan Fanning, Stone Edge User Group
Hi Ryan,
Avalara supports the state of the art REST api integration. This api also has a “RefundTransactions” endpoint which deals with refunds. Supported refund types are Full, TaxOnly, Partial (for a line item) and percentage. In your case it looks like a full refund. (For partial dollar amount or partial quantity refunds, CreateTransaction endpoint is used with ReturnInvoice doc type.)
Details are provided here : https://developer.avalara.com/ecommerce-integration-guide/refunds-badge/refund-transactions/
I can assist to customize the View Order Form to add a new button for Tax Refund or it can be triggered from any event during order processing or at any stage. It will send all the related info to Avalara via REST api and a success message with transaction id can be received. This will be direct and immediate integration from SE to Avalara for a refund transaction and it will take less than 5 seconds to complete.
Please feel free for more details.

Kind regards,
Farrukh Rehman
CEO Intelligent Software Solutions