Sales Tax Issues

pchr...@trainsetsonly.com

Oct 23, 2018, 8:41:23 AM10/23/18
to Stone Edge User Group
We've recently changed to not have SE recalculate sales tax upon import.  For the most part, this has worked fine.

A  couple issues we noticed are when orders are not complete (there are backordered items).

We have seen the following:

1)  If an order is partially complete, the rate appears to calculate properly, but the tax amount is not recalculated using this rate against the shippable portion of the order.  So, if we approved it at this point, we'd collect tax on the full order amount, which is not correct.

2)  If an order is completely short (no products can be filled), it appears that the tax rate is calculated to be zero percent.  Then, when the order is filled, I'm assuming no tax would be calculated, which is also not good.

steve

Oct 24, 2018, 4:04:41 PM10/24/18
to Stone Edge User Group
We've found if the cart you are connecting to can pass the actual tax rate, all of these problems go away.  If it doesn't pass in the tax rate, Stone Edge isn't calculating the tax rate correctly.

I'm not sure if this has been fixed in newer versions, but when we are giving guidance on the matter we tell them to try and get their cart to pass down the actual tax rate.

Steve

Paul Christel

Oct 24, 2018, 4:10:58 PM10/24/18
to steve, Stone Edge User Group

At this time, Miva doesn’t appear to be passing the rate, so it has to be derived.  I wrote some code to handle this for other scenarios and can probably get it to work properly in this one as well.  Just would prefer it be resolved in the core product (either by properly calculating it or by having the export module from Miva pass it along).

Paul