Stone Edge User Meeting

John Frazar

Jul 11, 2019, 3:55:20 PM7/11/19
to Stone Edge User Group
Hello Everyone!

Our client appreciate dinner a few weeks ago in Chicago was very well received.  I've heard from many of the attendees who have expressed interest in having more meetings.  We have been discussing the idea of having another Stone Edge User Meeting and even have some tentative plans in place.  But before we pull the trigger on it, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on the subject.

We use to have about 250 in attendance at our Annual User Conferences.  They were 2.5 days long, full of sponsors, lots of food and alcohol served each day, tons of content.  They were very expensive to host and time consuming to plan and prepare.  Eventually, I'd like us to get back to that, but I don't think that would be realistic in the near future.

So, I think we need to think about hosting smaller regional user meetings that people can drive to, spend the day with presentations on current SEOM related topics, eat a meal or two, and then head home.

Questions for you all:
  1. How many of you would make the journey to Philadelphia for a day-long conference/user meeting?
    Would New York City, Washington D.C., Chicago, Atlanta, or Southern California be preferred?  Keep in mind the further away from Philly, the more difficult and costly it is for us to pull this off.  I think we would need a minimum of 50 attendees to make it worthwhile.
  2. Is a $300/pp admission appropriate?
    If not, would fewer/less fancy meals or additional sponsors be a fair trade-off for a lower price point?  Do you feel the meals and sponsors add convenience and additional value to an event like this, or are they not necessary?
  3. Any specific topics that you'd like to see us present or discuss?
Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,

John Frazar

tle...@earthsunmoon.com

Jul 11, 2019, 4:32:16 PM7/11/19
to Stone Edge User Group
My ideal would be something like Philly or Chicago for 2-3 days.  It gets harder to justify the time and expense of travel if it's only one day.  More sponsors sounds good.

I don't think you need to provide meals beyond a modest breakfast and lunch.  Personally, I'd rather see admission be a higher price than to have to leave the hotel during the conference for those meals. If there's alcohol, it should be a cash bar or have a sponsor that's willing to pay for it.

It was suggested several years back that it might better to have these somewhere like King of Prussia instead of downtown Philly to make them less expensive.  I also imagine that there several resort areas that probably have greatly reduced rates in the off season - I just got back from vacation in Myrtle Beach and I know that place is a ghost town by October.

Federico

Jul 11, 2019, 5:56:33 PM7/11/19
to Stone Edge User Group

I agree, but prefer Philly or Atlanta.

Fico

Federico (Fico) Arguelles

fi...@otcwholesale.com

OTC Wholesale

787 Hillcrest Industrial Blvd

Suite A

Macon GA 31204

Cell (954) 261-8642

Office (478) 845-3717

Cathy Wise

Jul 11, 2019, 6:02:39 PM7/11/19
to tle...@earthsunmoon.com, Stone Edge User Group

I would be interested.

Any city is fine by me. Atlanta is a great option, but not so interesting. 😉 I’d rather have it in a city where it’s walkable, and Ubers are easy. Off season on the beach sounds wonderful. Smaller cities are cool too – Raleigh Charleston, etc.

Length 1 ½ - 2 full days sounds appropriate.

$300 is good.

Breakfast and lunch are good. Sponsors for cocktails and dinner are good.

Topics can be decided if this plan comes to fruition.

Thanks!

Cathy

Jay Cell

Jul 11, 2019, 6:18:00 PM7/11/19
to Cathy Wise, tle...@earthsunmoon.com, Stone Edge User Group
Since we are on the west side of the country, California Arizona or Nevada are best for us
We used to love going to the meetings in Philadelphia

Sent from Jay’s iPhone

Brad Rusin

Jul 11, 2019, 7:35:23 PM7/11/19
to Stone Edge User Group
Philly is fine to save on costs. I think 1.5-2 days max. Is there enough content? I don't mind a quick trip. Maybe a dinner/mixer the first evening and then a full day of content the next day?

Brad Rusin

Jul 11, 2019, 7:36:44 PM7/11/19
to Stone Edge User Group
Oh $300 sounds about right but I'd like to see a rough agenda first.

Roxanne Brown

Jul 12, 2019, 9:33:16 AM7/12/19
to Stone Edge User Group
I think Philly is fine; it makes it easier for you to have the staff attend and meet everyone.

1.5 - 2 days is preferred. That way we are not away too long; but the conference is long enough to cover some great content and allow time for networking and talking to vendors/sponsors. One day isn’t enough time.

Breakfast and lunch are kind of a must in my opinion. It’s not just for convenience (but that’s a big factor); it also allows for additional networking opportunities - which I feel is pretty important. It also gives the SEOM staff the opportunity to talk with attendees without missing a session. The meals do not need to be fancy; but I feel they need to be included.

As far as alcohol - either a cash bar or a sponsor; and just the first night.

I think having sponsors is great. It gives the vendors a chance to meet/talk to users; to discuss their solution in general and more importantly get feedback on needed features. The attendees learn about solutions they might not know about, or learn more about a solution they are already using. Plus, it helps offset the cost to put the conference on - which ends up being a win for everyone.

Thank you!
Rox 😎

tle...@earthsunmoon.com

Jul 12, 2019, 12:50:11 PM7/12/19
to Stone Edge User Group
If you do provide breakfast and lunch, I'd love to see you offer a "meals only" option for spouses of fully paid registered attendees.

If you do end up doing Philadelphia on a Friday evening through Sunday, I might be able to bring my wife with me and I'd happily pay something like $60 if she could eat breakfast and lunch with me on Saturday and Sunday at the conference.

Lawrence Neibauer

Jul 12, 2019, 2:11:28 PM7/12/19
to Stone Edge User Group
I would also love to see this happen, Philadelphia, King Of Prussia, Washington DC or even South Carolina would be nice. I just don't want to go to NYC.  The prices in NYC are just too damn high

Jay Cell

Jul 12, 2019, 3:17:18 PM7/12/19
to Lawrence Neibauer, Stone Edge User Group
Vegas has great room rates certain weeks of the year

Sent from Jay’s iPhone

P Coleman

Aug 14, 2019, 9:02:31 AM8/14/19
to Stone Edge User Group
Philly or NY - $300 is reasonable - stick to Philly if it makes it easier to plan it  as all have to  travel regardless of venue

I would stick to a one day plan - early start   - plough through the day -

Pat