Long Tracking Numbers

4444...@gmail.com

May 15, 2024, 1:41:53 PMMay 15
to Stone Edge User Group
The tracking numbers that StoneEdge is getting as a response from the USPS API are not in the typical format and it is very confusing for customers. Specifically, the tracking numbers are adding an application type of 420 + zip code before the typical tracking number, so the tracking numbers are all 8 digits longer than is standard. Based on the USPS API guide, StoneEdge is using the USPS API Response of BarcodeNumber instead of TrackingNumber to get the result of the tracking numbers. The BarcodeNumber response adds the extra (unnecessary) info.  It would be nice to have this either changed to the standard format or have the option to specify which format we want to use.

John Frazar

May 15, 2024, 2:35:33 PMMay 15
to Stone Edge User Group
Correct me if I'm wrong, but both numbers work and are trackable on USPS's site.  So nothing is actually broken, right?  You're just saying that it's confusing to customers?

Two things:

1) You can embed the tracking number link in your email coorespondance with customers so they don't even need to see the tracking numbers and have an opportunity to get confused.  What I mean by this is, instead of saying "Your tracking numbers is 123456789"  You can use something like "Click here to track your package".  This can be easily accomplished with the email template editor in Stone Edge.

2) The other thing is that this is very temporary "issue" anyway which will go away very soon.  USPS is requiring everyone to switch to a new API by July 15th anyways and the new API only uses one tracking number.  (Don't worry, no one needs to do anything to make the change.  It'll happen automatically well before the mandatory switch over date.)

Thanks,

John Frazar

4444...@gmail.com

May 15, 2024, 3:01:00 PMMay 15
to Stone Edge User Group
You are correct, both numbers work. and it is not broken. People just aren't used to the format so we keep getting emails from people telling us we sent them an incorrect tracking number before they even try to track it.  Glad to hear it's temporary. Thanks for the reply.