GPF Update

Casey Creamer

Mar 11, 2024, 9:48:02 AMMar 11
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)

Hello fellow Stone Bridge Drivers.

Here is a press releases that will help to keep you up to date.

Vintage race cars take to the streets of Watkins Glen September 6 to celebrate America’s road racing history as part of the Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

March 11, 2024

CONTACT:  Michaela Christensen, 607-535-3003

The streets of Watkins Glen, New York, will be full of vintage racecars at the Sept. 6 Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival to celebrate road racing history.

Festival promoters announced today that the Sportscar Vintage Racing Association—the largest vintage racing organization in the United States—has agreed to help sponsor the festival.

The cars will take to the streets of the Finger Lakes village where U.S. road racing history was made. From 1948 to 1952, racers from around the world competed on a 6.6-mile road course through the village and through the local hills. These United States Grand Prix events led to further racing activities in Watkins Glen, including those now run at NASCAR’s Watkins Glen International racetrack.

Stacy Husted, president of Watkins Glen Promotions and chair of the Festival’s management committee, said she is excited about the support from SVRA. “In past years, our Festival ran adjacent to the early September Vintage races at the WGI track, but this year, a change in the NASCAR schedule put those races in August, and unfortunately, WGI won’t be partnering with us this year because of the change.” Husted said.  “Because we work with the Village, the State Park, and other groups to close streets and use parking areas for our Festival, we could not move our event date to the high-traffic season before Labor Day.  We are really grateful to SVRA for bringing their members, cars, and drivers back to Watkins Glen to participate in our Festival.”

The Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival will be held Friday, Sept. 6, 2024, and will begin with a special SVRA Smalley’s Tech Inspection Reenactment at the original Smalley’s Garage.  SVRA race cars will undergo a technical inspection similar to those performed during the original Grand Prix races.

Through the day, the Festival will highlight 10 groups of sports and classic cars as they take laps of the original Old Course used in the original Grand Prix races.  Franklin Street, the main drag through the village, will be closed through the afternoon and early evening for their laps.

The Featured Marque for this year’s Festival will be MG. Owners and drivers of these cars will participate in road rallies and get extra recognition as they drive through the village.

Late in the afternoon, the assembled SVRA vintage racers will participate in the SVRA Grand Prix Festival Tribute Laps of the Old Course.  As they have in the past, these race cars will be led by Schuyler County Sheriff’s deputies around the old course and through the hills just as their predecessors did, more than 70 years ago.

The Watkins Glen Grand Prix Festival is sponsored by Chemung Canal Trust Company and is produced by Watkins Glen Promotions, a nonprofit organization dedicated to presenting community festivals in Schuyler County, New York.

For more information on the Grand Prix Festival, contact Watkins Glen Promotions at 607-535-3003, or visit www.grandprixfestival.com.

Cfran72848

Mar 11, 2024, 6:58:44 PMMar 11
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)
Great news Casey.  Thank you.  Chuck

Robert Carley

Mar 12, 2024, 11:15:10 AMMar 12
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com, SBD Info (stonebridgedriversinfo@googlegroups.com)
I just reserved our B&B.

Thanks.

--
Dr. Robert Carley
'Tantramar'

WILLIAM LICKER

Mar 12, 2024, 7:55:58 PMMar 12
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Hi Casey, I am signed up for the roadster tour on the same day. Will there be any overlap/interference? Will we have an opportunity to see any of the vintage event?

Casey Creamer

Mar 12, 2024, 8:04:26 PMMar 12
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
The Sporting Roadster Tour is one part of the same Grand Prix Festival that what is being described in the press release is part of.  There is one Grand Prix Festival on 9/6/24 which has many moving parts that happen all day long. You won’t miss any of it as long as you manage to keep up with the car ahead of you.
Casey
Sent from my iPhone

WILLIAM LICKER

Mar 13, 2024, 8:44:47 AMMar 13
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com

Michael Novakowski

Mar 13, 2024, 4:37:39 PMMar 13
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
I did the Roadster Tour last year and it turned into a bit of a cluster after about 3 turns as many of us got lost. Despite that it was an absolute blast and I would definitely recommend it. We finished in time to enjoy the race cars on main street.

Terrie Sautter

Mar 13, 2024, 6:36:52 PMMar 13
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps this is a good time to remind all Stone Bridge Drivers that the only time you might NOT want to keep up with the car ahead of you is on your actual rallye routes.  YOU should be driving your own rallye, not following the car ahead of you, for just this reason.  If not all the cars on the rallye got misplaced, it's likely not the rally-master's mistake on the route you were provided.

Almost without exception when Glenora Run cars get misplaced we discover that one car made the wrong turn and a batch of cars behind them made the same turn.  I've messed up occasionally, and always 'fess up, but more often driver error - or shall we say misinterpretation? - came into play.

Glad you all keep coming back, in any event!!

Just a thought,
terrie

Glenora Run Chair

--
Terrie Sautter
2110 State Route 230

Stephen Gojevic

Mar 15, 2024, 12:17:26 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Hello:

A few years back when the Ford Mustang was the featured car, I did the drive in our 1987 Mustang GT.
It was so much fun that we want to do it again.  I was looking for an event this year that our Mustang GT could participate in.  Looking over the different events, it looks like the only event our car could qualify for is the Grist Iron Brewery event.  It says "sport and classic cars".  Does our 1987 Mustang GT qualify for this event?

Thanks
Steve

Joe Lucchesi

Mar 15, 2024, 12:17:32 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Mar 15, 2024, 12:17:49 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Ha! We did the roadster tour too, in our 66 Corvette Roadster and the people we followed out of the park missed the VERY FIRST TURN! Had a great time!

Jon and Connie
image0.jpeg

Jon Swanson

On Mar 13, 2024, at 4:37 PM, Michael Novakowski <mnov...@gmail.com> wrote:

I did the Roadster Tour last year and it turned into a bit of a cluster after about 3 turns as many of us got lost. Despite that it was an absolute blast and I would definitely recommend it. We finished in time to enjoy the race cars on main street.

43B754EC-C0BE-4CB9-85B1-B80C184886A2.jpeg

Casey Creamer

Mar 15, 2024, 12:21:23 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com

Go to   http://www.grandprixfestival.com/whatevent.html  to find out which events your car qualifies for.

Casey

Mar 15, 2024, 12:26:15 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com

Are you not able to get a navigator because you are an awful driver? Sometimes there will be people at your drivers meeting who are willing to be you navigator.

But to answer your question, N O you will not be able to drive directly from the winery to your parking spot downtown because at that time it is an open state highway that has not closed yet.

But if you talk with your event chair Terrie, she will be able to figure something out so that you can meet up with the group in Montour Falls or something like that.

Casey

Terrie Sautter

Mar 15, 2024, 2:58:08 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
To support Casey's response, once you join Glenora Run on Friday morning you stay with the group all day - registration at Glenora, your rallye route,the Montour Mile, lunch at Hidden Valley, laps of the Original Course to culminate with your downtown parking with the other Glenora Run cars.

Every year I make an announcement during Drivers' Meeting to try to match people up with a navigator but most folks bring one and often even if three people are in a car the third stays with their driver/navigator team. Sometimes there are folks at Glenora checking out the field of cars and watching the activities - you could always approach some of them to see if they would navigate, but you must return them to Glenroa at the end of the day!!

While it is not recommended, it is possible to do the rallye by yourself but you must be very careful and take your time. This is not a "Time-Speed-Distance" rallye and there is plenty of time to complete it, so you do have time to pull over occationally to check your upcoming directions. It is not recommended that you follow someone with the same route as yours (there are three different routes), but if you do find someone that seems to be doing OK, that's an option, too. Remember, if they mess up and you follow, you'll mess up too!!

If you start now I think you should be able to find a navigator by September.  In any event, be sure to bring a clipboard and a writing instrument - we generally provide pens in your registration materials, but bring one to be sure.  Do not expect to be able to use GPS to pre-program the route - YOU are your own GPS!!

As Casey mentioned, you could find a place to hang out until the Glenora Run assembles in Montour Falls around 11:15 a.m., but the fun is in the rallye!

Feel free to contact me directly with questions about the day's activities and I'll try to help you out.

See you in September,
terrie
Terrie Sautter
Glenora Run Chair

Joe Lucchesi

Mar 15, 2024, 3:58:10 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Terrie!  That is very helpful.  Looking forward to it!!

Joseph L. Lucchesi, Esq.

Lucchesi Law Offices

141 Fall Street

Seneca Falls, New York 13148

(315) 568-5168 - phone

(315) 568-1235 - fax

j...@lucchesilaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE - This email is ONLY for the person(s) named in the message header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is confidential, privileged or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender of the error and delete the message.

Pursuant to IRS Regulations, any tax advice contained in this communication or attachments is not intended to be used and cannot be used for purposes of avoiding penalties imposed by the Internal Revenue Code or promoting, marketing or recommending to another person any tax related matter.

Sent: Friday, March 15, 2024 2:55 PM

Michael Novakowski

Mar 15, 2024, 7:19:11 PMMar 15
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
I did the Roadster Tour without a navigator as my brother had some health issues and could not attend. I just followed the car in front of me which was a Camaro occupied by two gentlemen from Canada. We got completely lost so just went to the winery for lunch and a beer. It was still great fun and I don’t regret doing it.

Terrie Sautter

Mar 18, 2024, 8:02:31 AMMar 18
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Joe,

In the event you are unable to find a navigator before September a friend of mine just offer to volunteer for Glenora Run. In my acceptance I asked if he would be willing to serve as a "floating" navigator - and he would.  So, he will be on-site and available. You and he will have to work out a way to return him to his vehicle, but that will be between youse guys!  Remember to ask me a few days early or the morning of the event.

Looking forward to Seeing you in September,
terrie

Joe Lucchesi

Sent: Sunday, March 17, 2024 8:54 PM

Terrie Sautter

Mar 18, 2024, 10:56:17 AMMar 18
to stonebrid...@googlegroups.com
Email is fine, and my info is on the Glenora Run Registration form, and below:

terrie

Joe Lucchesi

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2024 10:48 AM