STOMP Netty vs. Mina

Mit

Aug 16, 2017, 4:08:51 PM8/16/17
to stomp-spec
Hi,

I have started look into STOMP and I need to use the protocol. Can anyone clarify whats the difference between Netty and Mina. I checked the source code partly, but it seems similar, so im wondering what is the best use of each?

Thanks.

Chris Barrow

Aug 18, 2017, 1:00:17 PM8/18/17
to stomp...@googlegroups.com, Mit

Hi Mit,

Mina and Netty are both frameworks for writing network servers. They fulfil the same purpose so generally you would use either one or the other, not both. Netty is more recent. Both were designed and mostly developed by the same person. We use both at Kaazing, because we started off with Mina then decided to move to Netty for our lowest level networking layer (TCP) because it was faster. They may differ in which protocols they have built-in support for. So if only one supports the protocols you need then that would be the one to go for. But apart from that generally I would recommend going with Netty.

Chris