Hwy 4

Jeffrey B. Baldwin

Oct 2, 2021, 11:42:57 AM10/2/21
to SAS Google Group

Hui SAS Gawkers:

Truck’s loaded, truck and trailer seem to be functional, I’m going to go to Hwy 4 tonight. I may have some LHS students there to gawk at outer planets and I’m going to do a tick count on my servo motors. Sky looks clear [now at least], temps are tolerable, let’s go have fun.

Baldy

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Tim Clark

Oct 2, 2021, 11:59:07 AM10/2/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I can’t make it tonight.
Clear skies

David Hash

Oct 2, 2021, 7:35:29 PM10/2/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Jeff Baldwin

Oct 2, 2021, 7:51:11 PM10/2/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

I’m going, I have tick counting to do on my servo motors, so I’m going. I suppose it will be imperfect though.

image001.jpg

Jeffrey B. Baldwin

Oct 3, 2021, 12:23:19 AM10/3/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

I’d love to tell you how awesome Hwy 4 was tonight, but I can’t. It sucked. It was clear when I left Lathrop, the Sun was shining in my eyes when I back up the truck and trailer at Hwy 4, Paul and I both had our scopes set up, and then it was totally socked in. We chatted for a half an hour and then packed up. And when I got home it was perfectly clear. We were joined by three people who were at Oak Grave the month before, and three of my students showed up.

Next week are two options, it’s High Altitude Star Party week and Oak Grove week. Peddler Hill and Shot Rock are closed as per the El Dorado Nat’l Forest, Iron Mountain is burned out, so the Heliport is it for the hill climbers, and Oak Grove for the docent crowd.

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Bill Litel

Oct 3, 2021, 1:56:34 AM10/3/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
It was very smoky up here at Pinecrest, but Doug and I were able to show a fairly decent crowd of Girl Scouts Jupiter and Saturn. We had a blast

Oct 3, 2021, 1:10:00 PM10/3/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Bill & I  were able to pick Jupiter &Saturn out of the smoke last night.
We had about 3 dozen Girl Scouts and other Pinecrest campers that hung out with us until about 9
About 8:30 I was able to eke out Andromeda in the binos and M 57 in my scope...They thought M 57, "The Ghost Cheerio",  was COOL.
Go figure