Antares Occultation

bal...@comcast.net

Jan 7, 2024, 9:25:17 PMJan 7
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hi SAS gawkers:

Tomorrow morning, 1/8/24, the Moon will occult Antares, and it is visible from here. Depending on exactly where you are, the Moon ought to eat Antares at around 05:38 PST and Antares ought to exit around 06:32. It will go in on the bright side of the Moon and come out on the dark side of the Moon. Antares is bright, so it’ll look like a welder is working on the Moon’s limb. It’ll show it’s redness against the neutral hued Moon on the way it, not so much on the way out. Fingers crossed for weather. Holler here if you happen to catch it. You can use naked eye, binoculars, small or large scope, whatever. They will be in the southeast about 7 degrees above the horizon at the beginning of the event and about 14 degrees high at the end of the event. The Moon will be 11% illuminated. Good luck.

Baldy

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

bal...@comcast.net

Jan 8, 2024, 9:34:03 AMJan 8
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hi SAS:

I watched Antares emerge from the Moon, it occurred two minutes earlier than I expected [my usual error]. I shot video of it with my Canon DSLR, but Antares couldn’t be seen in the video, so I won’t post it.

Baldy

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Jason Keyes