New Moon Challenge

Jim & Emilia

Sep 6, 2021, 11:07:44 PM9/6/21
to Stockton Astronomical Society

Tomorrow (9/7) is this month’s day for the new moon challenge.

Sunset is 7:28

Moonset is 8:15

Sunset heading = 278

Moonset heading = 275

Degrees between the sun and moon = 11

The moon will only be lit 5%, so it will be a real sliver.

This will be much more challenging than last month.

Best of luck.

Jim Seiferling

Jeff Baldwin

Sep 7, 2021, 10:53:47 PM9/7/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

I just nailed Mercury, 19:47 on 9-7-2021 with 10x70 binoculars. I came back in to write this and spaced out trying to see it naked eye. Oh well. Also way off to its left is Mercury which I forgot to look for while I was out there. It’s a 400 ft walk to my low-west observing location. This is the thinnest crescent Moon I’ve seen. If New Moon was at 17:53 Monday, then this is a 25 hr 54 min Moon.

Jim, this was fun, thanks for a great project.

Image removed by sender.

image001.jpg

Bill Litel

Sep 7, 2021, 10:55:01 PM9/7/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

William E. Litel
Vegetation Program Mgr.
ACRT Pacific, LLC

Sep 7, 2021, 11:12:52 PM9/7/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I too was able to see the sliver moon with binos at 7:43 pm .
It was very very thin and so faint I couldn’t sight it naked eye.
I’ll bet a minuscule percent of the population see this one day old moon.
Couldn’t spot Mercury due to a tree 😩.
May be able to spot Mercury on Saturday at Oak Grove?
Thanks Jim - great fun

Eric Holland

Sep 7, 2021, 11:13:40 PM9/7/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Here is a photo of the New Moon taken with Canon 60Da at 7:50pm with 300mm lens.  I was able to see it in my 10X56 binos but not visually.

Regards,

Eric

Inline image

Jim & Emilia

Sep 8, 2021, 12:00:58 AM9/8/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Well, I got skunked.  From the hills west of Rio Vista, there was a marine layer (Yea!!!), in the bay area, which extended 3-4 degrees above the horizon.

Next month we have about 1 hour to find it.

Good going, Jeff & Tim.

Thanks Eric for the photo.  That was great work to capture it.

73,

Jim

Sep 8, 2021, 12:05:46 AM9/8/21
to SAS Google Group
I got skunked too with partly cloudy skies in Strykersville NY, plus my brother took me out to dinner and by the time we got out of the restaurant it was too late. Now I have to start all over again. 🌙

Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.