Shadow the Scientist - Check this out !

Tim Clark

Mar 30, 2023, 2:07:55 PM3/30/23
to SAS Google Group, Fred Lusk, Raj Dixit, Awanish Mishra
Hi SAS observers-

You may have seen the message from me earlier about this program called "Shadow the Scientist".

Well, last night I logged into the zoom meeting and it was so impressive I had to share it with you again.

Here is what is going on-

  • There are 3 professional PhD level astronomers in Hilo Hawaii and 1 in Davis CA and they are using both the Subaru 8.2 meter and Keck 10 meter telescopes on Mauna Kea to look at distant galaxies, doing imaging and spectroscopy for their research.
  • At the same time they are broadcasting via Zoom showing you the control room, the telescopes, the images and letting you listen in to their conversations.
  • And one of the astronomers is narrating and answering viewer's questions.

It's like you are in the telescope control room in real time doing research along side them (shadowing them). It's super cool ! See attached photo.

I was fortunate last night, only about 20 people were logged in. I was able to ask questions virtually 1 on 1 with a Phd in Astronomy.

Hope you can check it out

Tim

There is another one tonight, here is the invitation (it's late) starting at 12:30 AM Saturday Pacific time:
You have to register by clicking the Mar 30 link to get the zoom link.

Shadow the Scientists

Greetings Friends and Partners,

We hope you can join us for back to back StS sessions on March 29th and 30th. Please register using the links below.

======

March 29 session
March 30 session
======

Participants may receive an email request after these sessions to complete a follow-up form describing their StS experience.

We look forward to seeing you!

Session Details

March 29, 9:30 – 11:30 PM HST = March 30, 0730 – 0930 GMT
March 30, 9:30 – 11:30 pm HST = March 31, 0730 – 0930 GMT

In this special Shadow the Scientists session you will join Dr. Brian Lemaux (Gemini-N/NOIRLab), Dr. Lu Shen (Texas A&M University), Dr. Roy Gal (Institute for Astronomy, UH), Dr. Ben Forrest (University of California, Davis), Dr. Ekta Shah (University of California, Davis) and graduate student Priti Staab (University of California, Davis) as they simultaneously use *two* telescopes at the top of Maunakea on the Big Island of Hawai’i.

In these observations, the team will be using the Multi-Object InfraRed Camera and Spectrograph (MOIRCS) on the Subaru Telescope and the Multi-Object Spectrometer For InfraRed Exploration (MOSFIRE) on the W.M. Keck Observatory to target several suspected large structures of matter under formation when the universe was about 10%–20% of its current age.

Jameeka Marshall

     Coordinator | Shadow the Scientists

Subaru telescope 3 29 23.JPG