STEM/STEAM Outreach in Stockton

William Litel

Feb 10, 2024, 12:37:48 PMFeb 10
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Calling all scopes!
  We have an ask from the Stockton Unified School District to provide scopes for a STEM event at Commodore Skills School on 22 FEB @ 17:00-18:30.
  The school is located on the West side of I-5 at the corner of N. Ryder and Alpine. They will have 10 stations and they would like us to be one of those stations. The requestor mentioned there will be 200 +- attendee’s. Yes, there will be a full Moon, but we have filters for that and the Moon is cool 😎.
  Please let me know through this email chain, if you can help us help make this schools STEM event an even bigger success.

Thank you,

William E. Litel
ISA Certified Arborist
WE-5486-A
TRAQ Certified

Kasey Foley

Feb 10, 2024, 9:36:33 PMFeb 10
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Hi Bill,

I checked out the 8" Coulter telescope so I can bring that (and maybe I will have time to try it out before then)...

Kasey Foley (and Rich Petersen)

spacecadetdoug

Feb 10, 2024, 11:13:39 PMFeb 10
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Bill, if you have a couple of firm confirmations for volunteers on the 22nd count me as I will be there if at all possible. Email the guy and set it up if you are comfortable with the commitment.

Frank &Darlene will be at the park on Saturday as will Mark.
Omar thinks he might make it.
Frank & Darlene are going to give us back the Striking Sparks scope.
They will leave it with you on Saturday night.
You can bring it to the shop or my house when I get back on Tuesday.

Sent from my Galaxy

William Litel

Feb 11, 2024, 11:40:22 AMFeb 11
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
  I will notify the school that we’re in! We can always use the extra help if you‘re curious about these STEM out reaches.
  It wouldn’t be for this particular event but in the future, I’d would like to see if we can get an individual who might simply walk about the scopes and interact with the crowds answering questions and shepherding the folks to scopes.

Dark skies,

William E. Litel
ISA Certified Arborist
WE-5486-A
TRAQ Certified

Tim Clark

Feb 12, 2024, 12:34:04 PMFeb 12
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill-
I can bring my scope out for this event. It's near my home and the school I attended as a kid.
The actual address is 2725 Michigan Ave, Stockton. And is near the corner of Ryde and Michigan on the west side of I5.

Let me if I can help.
Tim

Kasey Foley

Feb 12, 2024, 1:15:35 PMFeb 12
to 'Tim Clark' via Stockton Astronomical Society
Yep, Webster Junior High, I went there too!

Kasey

Tim Clark

Feb 20, 2024, 12:20:37 PMFeb 20
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill-
For the Star Party this Thursday at Commodore Skills School in Stockton - do we have any more details?
Arrival time?
Setup location?
Parking?
What SAS members are coming?

The forecast looks good at this time.

Thanks,
Tim

William Litel

Feb 20, 2024, 12:35:01 PMFeb 20
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
  Sent the contact a text this morning and should be speaking to him directly later today.

William E. Litel
ISA Certified Arborist
WE-5486-A
TRAQ Certified

Leo Cervantes

Feb 20, 2024, 1:43:39 PMFeb 20
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, those are tough for me because I work in Alameda at the Coastguard right now. There’s no way I could make that one on time. But I’ll see you guys at the next Oak Grove star party. Clear skies.
Leo
Sent from my iPhone