Messier Marathon

Michael Chapman

Mar 9, 2023, 11:19:42 PM3/9/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hey all I apologize, got a new piece of equipment for my twitch streams and for whatever reason it was conflicting with zoom, restarting my audio didn’t work and my camera wasn’t working either. Fantastic Meeting I learned a massive amount from the measuring distances presentation. My interest is 10000% on March 18th’s Messier Marathon but I have limited transportation so while I want to go I don’t know If I can. As for SAS public outreach I should be able to start making some of those dates. We are all kind of hoping this current storm finishes off the fence. As it stands right now insurance won’t do anything about it claim wise until it falls. Roof was repaired in full by last Friday night so this should be the last one.

That Messier Marathon though, man I’m extremely excited about that. Though I did was to ask, with something like that, how long can you typically stay on any given target? The Orion Nebula is like bucket list item for me (Id say as high as getting a clear picture of M31) and while I probably can’t take pictures of it, id love to spend 10-15 minutes just looking at it. Anyway. Thank you for the fantastic meeting this month. Hope to start seeing you all soon.

Michael Chapman

T. 484-750-1011

bald...@comcast.net

Mar 10, 2023, 10:47:50 AM3/10/23
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hanging on a single object can mess up a marathon, that should be done on nights that you aren’t trying to get over a hundred Messiers. Simple math says that if there are 109 objects, and the sky is dark from 8:30ish to 5ish, giving you 8.5 hours of observing those 109 objects, that comes to 5 less than 5 minutes per object. But on the 18th there might be 5 people looking through the scope. So since it takes a few minutes to locate these objects, and five people each wanting to take a turn on it, it’s basic “Yep I see it, let me get out of the way and go check it off so the next person can gawk at it”. Some are easy to find, so are not, so even on the eay ones we need to move along so that later on we’ll have that time for the hard ones.

But on a night where we aren’t doing a marathon, peoples should spend time looking at these incredible objects and enjoy them, soak them in, and remember them.

My suggestion is to do the marathon and look for a few seconds, Then at regular star parties, enjoy 20 or so a night thoroughly, and eventually get through them all AGAIN at your own fun pace.

Baldy

Stockton Astronomical Society

Mar 10, 2023, 6:59:20 PM3/10/23
to Stockton Astronomical Society
hey Jeff,

Thanks for the reply that really answers my question. I do apologize if it felt like a dumb question I did get the sense of urgency in how you were describing it in your presentation but i wasn't sure if i could spend a few minutes gawking or if it was more like what you confirmed with a 'yay i see it cool, okay next' either or is fine by me. im going to try to make it out for this.