My Descent into Astrophotography Part 1

Michael Chapman

Oct 17, 2022, 1:09:11 AM10/17/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

So as I mentioned I’ve had this fascination with M31 since I learned the outermost portion of it is already touching the outermost portion of the milky way. Its what got me started in this hobby and I vowed I would take a picture of it. Boy howdy I was not prepared for how ‘easy’ content creators on YouTube says it is. Its not easy. Untracked it’s a nightmare, but. Im stubborn persistent and really, REALLY wanted to prove to myself I could do it. So I bought an intervalometer Friday, it arrived Saturday afternoon at my front door and by 7pm I was outside testing.

To be frank the tests were a complete and utter failure. The camera wasn’t taking pictures with or without remote shutter, I thought I was focused, and I thought 10 subs would be plenty. Hyped beyond any reasonable measure I put my images into deep sky stacker annnnd they were black. So I got in touch with a “Nerd” (that’s what the processors are called in the discord im in) who assured me that was a promising thing and if all went well I could be looking at M31 in a matter of minutes!

So he linked me to a processing program that’s free. I put my stacked image in and hit auto stretch:

Well…..thats certainly something to cap off my Saturday night. Camera didn’t want to work, and when it did it wasn’t even in focus. Oh well. To bed.

Woke up early Sunday morning and I was on a mission. I researched a lot about DLSR’s and deep sky objects, ISO’s, exposure time. Even went outside with the camera and made sure my intervalometer actually worked and discovered I had it on auto focus not manual. *facepalm* well that got rectified so the only thing I had to do was sit and wait:

As it started getting darker last night I became acutely aware of the clouds rolling in from the foothills and had the sudden realization that I may be racing the clock to see if all the information I soaked up like a sponge could be put to the test. But while the sun dipped down over the horizon, Saturn came out to play and I took a quick 2 second exposure with my phone to say hi to the gas giant. But I eventually turned my attention back to the northeast, set my subs and off to the races I went.

I was exceptionally nervous to check the first exposures, but I did and they were blank. Letting out a string of curse words that would’ve made even 20 year old me in the army blush, I set to collecting myself, lowering my aperture from 5.6 to 4, and raising my exposure from 2 seconds to 7 seconds. I did another series of 5 in 9 second intervals and the first image came back and we had stars! NOW in hindsight I learned the value of taking a breath tonight, and zooming in on what im seeing on the display to see if im actually lined up with my target. But 150 pictures later, I hastily went back to my pc, put them through deep sky stacker and:

This is a single picture at ISO 1600 f4 with a 7 second exposure. Remember how I said wanna see a grown man cry….my glasses still have water streaks on them. You would’ve thought I just got the worst news one could ever get. But alas, they were tears of happiness. So without further adieu, here is all 150 pictures I took (albiet out of focus with my target not centered) Im incredibly proud that is is my second ever attempt at a deep sky object and only my third of a celestial body.

Lessons were learned last nightand im really proud to admit that, and I can’t wait to see improvements. M31, is just a bit up from the right hand corner (I probably don’t have to point it out) but yea. Im proud of this.

Michael Chapman

T. 484-750-1011

Jason Keyes

Oct 17, 2022, 1:34:59 AM10/17/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Michael, it's good you're out trying. AP has a steep learning curve. From what you shared, I can say: 1) try focusing on a far away object in the day like a distant light post, tree or rooftop, so you can actually see that you are focused on infinity, then lock your focus until it's dark.  2) If you can't invest in a tracking mount right now, you can build a barn door manual tracker for a few bucks and a couple hours of DIY labor (google how to build a barn door tracker). 3) for your camera lens and exposure time without tracking, use the 500 rule, which is: 500 / your focal length = max exposure time. 4) try to get those lights turned off (or go someplace darker, or use a filter to block the sodium, mercury and other types of light polluting the sky in your area). The rabbit hole is deep; have fun!

Clear skies,

Jason Keyes

Jason Keyes

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 17, 2022, 11:18:58 AM10/17/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Morning Jason,

Thank you. I am getting increasingly antsy while I await my dobsonian to arrive so I had to do something to get under the night sky :) But I will continue astrophotography even after. But to touch on some of your recommendations:
1. Focus seems to be the crux of my current issue in AP, as you can see from stacking in SIRL on Saturday, there was much to be desired. But that was mostly to test the intervalometer. What a difference a day makes on that particular piece of equipment. I can now comfortably set up exposures and that is a relief. But yes with focus I was told last night to focus on a distant object then for all Astro needs, use my 300mm zoom lens I have and zoom in to about 125mm, and refocus on a star. Additionally was supplied a link to another piece of equipment called a bahtinov mask.
2. I will for sure google that, even on the low end on eBay a proper tracking mount is outside my budget at the moment. But I have been pricing them specifically for this purpose.
3. 500 Rule! I legit couldn't remember what it was called last night so I used simple math of 'well if my phone is picking up stars at 2-second exposures' :D not the greatest or most accurate way of doing things, but it worked out.
4. Yea the lights. from where I live you can't see it but I essentially have to stand in the back corner of my backyard to block street lights. Even though according to the light pollution map where my house is I'm in a Bortle 4 zone. I think i'm I the most excited for a star party simply so I can get into a lower bortle area. Transportation is a bit tricky for me but I have a standing invitation to use a friend's driveway in Ripon that lives in the country. So I may take him up on that next adventure.

thanks for all the feedback. I enjoyed reading through it!

lukas...@prodigy.net

Oct 17, 2022, 12:28:42 PM10/17/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

You didn’t say what lens you are using or what your camera make and model are so I don’t know if these two alternative focusing procedures will work for you.

  • If the moon is out…
    • Set your lens to “auto-focus”
    • If you can get a focus, then switch to “manual focus”
    • Don’t touch the focus ring and you should be good for the night

  • If the moon is not out or you can’t get an auto-focus…
  • AND your camera has “live view”    (“live view” is a feature that allows you to view the subject on the LCD monitor instead of the viewfinder)
    • Center a bright star in the viewfinder
    • Set your lens to “manual focus”
    • Turn on the “live view”
    • Adjust the focus
    • Press the “magnify” button
    • Adjust the focus again
      • You may see faint stars popping in and out of view as you adjust the focus

I usually take a series of images at different exposures adjusting the f-stop, ISO, or shutter speed as appropriate.  I will then take the memory card inside and view the individual JPEG images on my computer.  The objective is to confirm that the focus is correct.  I then view the series of images to determine the best exposure setting.

Below is a single JPEG image of the top half of the Orion constellation.  I didn’t have time to change to a 35mm lens or take a series of exposures to determine the best exposure, but this will give you an idea of what a single JPEG image can look like.  Processed using Corel PhotoPaint 2022.

Ray Lukaszewski

On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 10:09 PM Michael Chapman <mikecha...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg
image005.jpg
image006.jpg
image007.jpg
image008.jpg

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 17, 2022, 12:43:18 PM10/17/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Good Morning Ray,

Yes I suppose that would have been useful information to supply, apologies. I am using a Canon Rebel EOS T7. I do have a question regarding your procedure. Are you not concerned once you have found your target about losing it while you're inside at the computer checking exposures? I was super nervous to walk away last night, in fact I set up my tripod and camera so i could sit just a foot away, listen for the exposures to finish, I figured that would give the sensor enough time to reach ambient temps again before i started a new exposure. Thanks for the additional input, I am saving all of this so I can better manage 1) my expectations and 2) set up a better night of photography in a few days

lukas...@prodigy.net

Oct 17, 2022, 6:08:06 PM10/17/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Michael,

I’m I concerned about loosing the target while inside?

No, not really.  After taking about a dozen images at various exposures, I transfer the images to my computer using the Canon supplied software ZoomBrowser.  Newer cameras come with ImageBrowser or Digital Photo Professional and EOS Utility.

After the transfer I’m just viewing the images to verify the focus; no photo processing has been done at this point.  If the focus is OK, I’ll view the images to determine which of the dozen images has the best exposure.  I’ll then go back outside and set the f-stop, ISO, and shutter speed to the best values.  Total time… probably less than 10 minutes.

If I’m taking constellations images using a 35mm or 50mm lens, the stars will have drifted a little, but will still be in the field of view.  I’ll move the camera a little if necessary.  Stars will drift much more if I was using my 300mm lens.

BTW, I have never used a Bahtinov mask on a camera lens, but it is almost a necessity when using a telescope to get a precise focus for deep sky objects.

Ray

Oct 18, 2022, 1:23:25 AM10/18/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome. Stick with it. Work on focusing. A bahtinov mask works well (I use them whenever I am out doing AP) and like someone else mentioned, you can live view and zoom to check your focus too with most DSLRs. I never start collecting subs until I'm sure my focus is as perfect as I can get it. It's always a bummer to spend hours collecting data to find your focus was off a little...

Have fun!

Jason

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 18, 2022, 1:51:36 PM10/18/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Morning all, I hope your Tuesday is going well.

Gonna be responding en masse again, so I don't saturate posts.
Ray,
My biggest issue is I think I'm rushing things, scared I'm gonna miss my target or something, introspectively I think a lot of this is based on only having a passing familiarity with the night sky. As it stands right now (to be 100% honest) I use the constellation Cassiopeia as a guide arrow to point in the general direction of Andromeda, but because I can't fully see the constellations, I pull out my phone and use an app called Stellarium that I just simply hold up near the lens of the camera and adjust height and verticality from there. Which as you can in my original post with my picture of M31, did me absolutely no favors :D

I looked into a Bahtinov Mask last night and got a tad overwhelmed because there seem to be multiple designs and I'm not sure which I should get. a friend I've been discussing things with in the AP discord I'm in suggested I look into getting a couple of them 3D printed, but I'm unsure where to begin with that, especially for something like an 8" Dob

Jason,
I fully intend to stick with it. I had such a fun time learning what I did wrong to go from a completely unfocused noisy final stack one night to at least a viewable stack that's still slightly out of focus the next. Also, update on the barn door tracker, that looks really feasible and I may try to build one! though I'm looking at an eq5 on eBay that is significantly less than its retail price tag with serious consideration. And i agree although my first and second attempt was only an hour or 2 at max, i was fairly bummed the first night when it was just a noisy unfocused mess with no stars.

thank you all for your continued input. It really means a lot to me

-Mike Chapman

Jason Keyes

Oct 18, 2022, 2:26:24 PM10/18/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

I read your post to Ray about a 3D printed bahtinov mask for an 8" dob. I'd just buy one from astrozap or another astronomy retailer (or make one for free out of a used pizza box), unless you have access to a 3d printer and then that'd be really cool to do. Are you wanting to image with your dob?

Eric Holland

Oct 18, 2022, 3:10:19 PM10/18/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Mike,

I've have a 3D printer and printed a Tri-Bahtinov mask for my 5" Dob using the online generator link below.  The results were great and it works well.  If you want to try making one let me know.  It does take time to tweak and print the design and buying one is much easier.  I've attached a rendered image of mine.  I can show you the actual mask at a future sky party if you want to see the quality.

Regards,

Eric Holland

TBMask.png

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 18, 2022, 7:34:14 PM10/18/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Hey Jason

Oh okay ill check that out, speaking of which my 'google fu' has been failing me, do we have local astronomy retailers in the 209 area? I went through high point scientific for my dob but i was so new that they had great customer service and I was able to live chat with a representative.

Hey Eric,
Oh yea I would love to see one at a star party, it looks like my first one will be astronomy in the park. If I don't see you there, will you be at the highway 4 star party in November? I don't have access to a 3D  printer myself unforntunately.

Bill Litel

Oct 18, 2022, 7:50:30 PM10/18/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Nothing really local. Orion telescopes over in Watsonville

William E. Litel

Contract Vegetation Program Mgr.

ISA Certified Arborist WE-5486-A

TRAQ Certified, Calif. Cert. Nrsy. Pro. 2114

ACRT Pacific, LLC

Cell: 209-302-0095

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, EMPLOYEE, OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY. THANK YOU.

Oct 19, 2022, 3:12:20 PM10/19/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Good Afternoon Bill,

Oh yea that’s a bit further then im willing to drive 😊 when im in the bay though I’ll be sure to remember to stop by

Michael Chapman

T. 484-750-1011

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 21, 2022, 3:28:44 PM10/21/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
So my Apertura AD8 8' Dobsonian just arrived, its currently still in its box but i figured now would be a good time to get suggestions. Do you guys have a list of favorite targets for observations? I am currently planning on doing a 'Planetary Tour' of our system. Star with the Moon, Go to Mars, Jupiter, Saturn. Im assuming Neptune isn't possible in my bortle level (if its even possible with an 8" dob) But i'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Bill Litel

Oct 21, 2022, 6:07:31 PM10/21/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Ohh that’s awesome! I hope I can do some observations tonight:

I have it zeroed on a cell tower about a half mile away and it looks like im right on top of it with the 30mm eyepiece. However, KCRA 3 is calling for cloud cover beginning at around 9pm tonight so I don’t know if the weekend will allow me to do observations. Either way! Its here. And it’ll be coming with me to Astronomy in the Park on the 29th. Not pictured is the 29mm super plossi, or other optics it came with, I had those in the house while I followed the PDF on focusing

Michael Chapman

T. 484-750-1011

Neptune is possible with your 8†scope even in the city.

Eric Holland

Oct 21, 2022, 7:19:18 PM10/21/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Very nice.  I'm sure you will get a lot of use out of it.  Some deep sky objects to start with would be those currently visible on the Messier Catalog.  Some good ones are M13, M27, M32, M57.  If you have a green laser pointer, a tip is to shine it through the small finder scope to point up to the sky.  That can help when trying to find the spot as seen from sky chart or planetarium software.  Just be careful of accidental reflections.  I just cup my hand around it.

Regards,

Eric

bal...@comcast.net

Oct 21, 2022, 7:31:24 PM10/21/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

M32 is with M31, and make sure there are NO AIRPLANES anywhere near where your green laser goes.

image001.jpg
image002.png

Stockton Astronomical Society

Oct 22, 2022, 2:01:32 AM10/22/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Oh, yea I don't have a laser pointer yet. Also, does anybody have good recommendations on red headlamps? Right now my father and I are using our old school flashlights with the red filter from the army, but as you probably can guess those are bulky and not conducive to astronomy.
Also, I did my first observations tonight with the AD8 Dob. Man, it was so easy to find Jupiter, gonna have to pick up a Barlow though. I then turned my attention to my seemingly favorite target (given i was a bit rushed with the storm rolling in) of M31. I couldn't find it, I'm guessing because of clouds. Either way, I definitely need to learn to use a star chart. But in order to salvage the evening I pointed to a random blank spot (to the naked eye) in the sky, slapped my 30mm eyepiece in, and focused. SO many stars! AND using the Inverse-square rule I was able to make proper deductions. I spotted three very bright blue stars fairly close to each other, but around them were dimmer stars that were in fact grey in color. So i knew the 3 blue ones i was looking at 1. Were pretty small and hot. 2. everything beyond that was not close. I can't guess distances. but I wanna try to find those three stars again.

Anyway. If the clouds hadn't rolled in I had set my sights on a late-night target of M42 The Orion Nebula, with the guess that it would be fairly easy to find in the east for me and fairly bright. But this storm ruined that. But I look forward to reporting future observations of it. All in all, I call tonight a success. I was able to manipulate the equipment, and swap eyepieces with ease, and finding Jupiter didn't take me 15 minutes.
I think I need to re-calibrate my finder scope, it was off just enough to be noticeable but not enough to hinder the impromptu observations tonight.

Gonna try to make it up Highway 4 tomorrow.
Until then, have a good night
-Mike

Jason Keyes

Oct 22, 2022, 8:42:52 AM10/22/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like you had a good first night with your scope! I got my red headlamp off Amazon. I have some red filter material that I cut to fit and make it red.

A really nice thing to have on a dob is a telrad. It can really help you with star hopping to targets and learning to navigate the night sky!

Clear skies!!

Jason