Space Stuff in Video Games

mikechapman074

Feb 2, 2024, 10:59:55 PMFeb 2
to Stockton Astronomical Society
So as some know (or didn't know) I stream video games daily on twitch. Mostly open world roleplaying games, but i tend to sprinkle in stuff I enjoy...like space stuff. Im not sharing these for any sort of self promotion, I am simply sharing this because some newer games have things in them that two decades ago wouldve been though impossible. Like Orbital Mechanics:

This is the fictional Gas Giant known as 'Crusader' transiting behind its moon 'Daymar' in the Game Star Citizen I took these photos today. The moons orbit pretty realistically with a day and night cycle

Speaking of day and night cycle, here is another moon of another planet during a sunrise. What i found interesting and quite jaw dropping was this:

The thin atmosphere is so...well thin, that unless you block the sun (in this case a fictional space faring craft) you can't see it. But even more so, the light defraction and the vivid teal/blue color of the atmosphere. Really makes me wonder what its composition is, we all had a nice conversation in chat about it and the possibilities.

Anyway.
Hope everyone is remaining safe and dry through these storms

-Mike

Mark Gibbons

Feb 3, 2024, 11:56:57 AMFeb 3
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike, modern video games are really amazing. It really changes the gaming experience from the old days into a truly immersive environment. Kerbal Space Program even uses a physics engine that reflects real spaceflight and can be used to act as a teaching tool for the rocket equation.
Mark

On Feb 2, 2024, at 8:00 PM, mikechapman074 <mikecha...@gmail.com> wrote:

So as some know (or didn't know) I stream video games daily on twitch. Mostly open world roleplaying games, but i tend to sprinkle in stuff I enjoy...like space stuff. Im not sharing these for any sort of self promotion, I am simply sharing this because some newer games have things in them that two decades ago wouldve been though impossible. Like Orbital Mechanics:

Stockton Astronomical Society

Feb 3, 2024, 2:25:58 PMFeb 3
to Stockton Astronomical Society
OH i love Kerbal Space Program immensely! I don't play it nearly as often as i'd like to. but yea. Star Citizen is something i stream regularly and even after 3 years in the project (its an early access title) it still takes my breath away at times im not expecting beauty. Here I am coming in to dock at this station a few weeks ago and the way the sun was hitting the station and showing the atmosphere just, really made me stop for a moment.