New Moon Challenge Tonight !

Tim Clark

Aug 9, 2021, 7:30:20 PM8/9/21
to SAS Google Group
Hi SAS google groupers-

Our SAS member Jim Seiferling has created a "New Moon Challenge" and this evening is the first chance we have to participate.
Go out this evening and see if you can spot the "sliver moon" .
There will more information given during the meeting on Thursday, but here is how it works:

Inline image

New Moon Challenge

In order to spur interest in astronomy that doesn’t require a telescope, I’ve created the New Moon Challenge.  All you have to do is observe the sliver moon on the day after the new moon.  This sounds easy, but the moon will be following the sun at sunset and there will be very little contrast between the sunlit sliver moon and the sky background.  There is generally only one day per month when this happens and only a short period on that day that the moon is visible.  At most there is a 90 minute window when the moon will be visible.  The shortest period is only 26 minutes.  This is why I named the award the New Moon Challenge, because it will be.

There will be two awards that you can earn.  The first award will be observing the sliver moon once.  The second award will be observing the sliver moon for 12 consecutive months.  If you miss a month, you will have to start over. This will be a real challenge!

For the award, all you need to submit is the day & time you observed the sliver moon.  Optional data will be welcome, such as your location, sky conditions, and the method you used (visual, binoculars, or telescope).  You can use mixed methods of observing for the 12 month challenge.  “Go to” or “push to” telescopes are perfectly acceptable.  Additional dialog is also welcome to potentially be published in the club newsletter.  We work on the honor system, thus the minimal data requirement.

Now for the warning.  NEVER attempt to see the moon until the sun is set completely below the horizon.  Even with a Go To telescope, DON’T do it before sunset.  You can set up the program command, but don’t push the GO button until the sun has set completely.  On December 3rd this year the moon will be very close to the sun (about 3 finger widths above the horizon after sunset).

Have fun!  Will you be the first person in the club to get certificate serial #1?

Paul Kovacik

Aug 9, 2021, 7:49:21 PM8/9/21
to SAS Google Group
Count me in!

An Astronomer is someone who needs lots of S P A C E

Jim & Emilia

Aug 9, 2021, 7:56:41 PM8/9/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Make sure you log;

The time you saw the moon.

Optional;

Your location

Method; with your eyes, binoculars, or telescope.

Hopefully clear skies with no smoke.

73,

Jim Seiferling

--
image001.gif

Fred Schumacher

Aug 9, 2021, 11:52:36 PM8/9/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

1st data point recorded via visual and binoculars. Earthshine visible around 8:45.

Jim,

Are we targeting 12 or 13 sliver moons (there is actually 13 full moons per year typically).

73,

Fred Schumacher

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

image001.gif

Jim & Emilia

Aug 10, 2021, 12:05:37 AM8/10/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hi Fred,

I found it with 7x50 binoculars at 8:22.

After I knew where to look, I could see it via eyeball.

I just set up the Excel sheet to get every new moon sliver out to next August.

It and the rules will be posted to the SAS website.

I don’t know if this reflector will accept attachments.

If you know that it will work let me know, I’ll post both files here as well.

73,

Jim

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/stocktonastro/6111f804.1c69fb81.6002.8687SMTPIN_ADDED_MISSING%40gmr-mx.google.com.
image001.gif