Astronomy in the Park Tonight

Tim Clark

Sep 11, 2021, 3:22:02 PM9/11/21
to SAS Google Group
Reminder for this evening‘s AITP at Oak Grove Regional Park.
Skies are clear and we should have good lunar and planetary views.
See you there.

Paul Kovacik

Sep 11, 2021, 3:25:21 PM9/11/21
to SAS Google Group
I'm out of town on vacation. Next time.

Paul

Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all.

Tim Clark

Sep 12, 2021, 12:59:56 PM9/12/21
to SAS Google Group, leo...@comcast.net
Reporting that we had an excellent AITP event last evening despite missing some SAS astronomers that are usually the "anchor" of the event.
(to clarify "anchor" as in mainstay, solid and trustworthy. Not derogatory or implied to mean, dead weight or a heavy burden. Insert sarcastic grin here).

Eric, Mike, Leo, Jerry and myself and roughly 50-75 public visitors in attendance. Short sleeve weather, good skies and plenty of near and deep sky objects to view.

I especially enjoyed this: A young mother put her first young boy up to the eyepiece with a view of Jupiter and 3 moons (Io was in transit and not visible) and then the next young boy, and then she looked into the eyepiece and didn't say a word for about 45 seconds. Then looked away from the eyepiece and toward Jupiter and said "Amazing, amazing,..." about 20 times as she walked away.

For me, this makes the effort we put into public outreach worth it all while also giving me a little intangible personal reward.

Doug- we missed you, we had a successful event without you, but don't bail out ever again!

Tim