Heli Pad Status from the New Guy

Stockton Astronomical Society

Feb 16, 2022, 8:13:22 PM2/16/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Hello all!

My name is Chris Larson, and I live up here in Pine Grove. I wanted to introduce myself, but I didnt want to come empty handed..... So, heres some current pics of the Heli Pad Observing Site!  As you can see, the snow is pretty much gone except for a little on the West/Northwest side. As you can also see, there is a large puddle, but it is easily avoidable. There is a little mud on that side as well, but once again, not much and easily avoidable. The one thing that might be a slight issue is, there are three tree's leaning over the dirt road coming in. I was able to easily drive around them in my little Honda HRV, but higher profile vehicles might have a little issue.
Clear Skies!
Chris Larson
IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0019.jpg

Paul Kovacik

Feb 16, 2022, 8:47:32 PM2/16/22
to SAS Google Group
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the update. The Heliport looks much better than when I was up there a few weeks ago.

I don't know how bad the road in is but I will be going up there in the next week or so. I'll scope things out and if needed maybe we can get some volunteers with chain saws to clear a path. I'll see if I can borrow a saw for when I go up there.

Paul Kovacik

Patet Coelum

Bill Litel

Feb 16, 2022, 8:57:13 PM2/16/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
  As a forester who works up there, do not cut any trees on someone else’s property without first checking with all interested parties.
  If this is indeed still a forest service property, there are several things which must first be provided to them before anyone can touch that tree.
  The trouble that can be started is incredible.

William E. Litel

ISA Certified Arborist WE-5486-A

Calif. Cert. Nrsy. Pro. 2114

ACRT Pacific, LLC

Cell: 209-302-0095

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, EMPLOYEE, OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY. THANK YOU.

Feb 16, 2022, 9:02:41 PM2/16/22
to SAS Google Group
Bill,
Thanks for the heads up. I hadn't considered the repercussions for my actions. I will refrain from cutting any trees.

Thanks,
Paul Kovacik

Patet Coelum

Jason Keyes

Feb 16, 2022, 9:04:18 PM2/16/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I'll be up there with Paul. I'll see if I can borrow a saw to clear the trees.

Stockton Astronomical Society

Feb 16, 2022, 9:10:24 PM2/16/22
to Stockton Astronomical Society
Hello Paul and William -

Amen, Bill - I didn't take care of it for just that reason. People up here get real touchy if you dont have permission, let alone the Forest Service, BLM, etc!
It is still easily passible, but if we get wind or snow and they "fall" more, it could become more problematic. The trees in question are quite small - maybe 4" in diameter at most. I could easily drag them literally just a few feet to make it more passible - what do you guys think? Let me know, I'm up in that area a lot, and would be happy to help if you guys deem its OK. They are maybe 20 foot tall, and partially down in such a way they could easily be tossed off the road.

Clear Skies!

Chris Larson

Paul Kovacik

Feb 16, 2022, 9:18:14 PM2/16/22
to SAS Google Group
As per Williams advise I'm not going to cut any trees down. But if they say dragging is OK to help clear the road in, then I'm all for it.

Paul Kovacik

Patet Coelum

Jeffrey B. Baldwin

Feb 16, 2022, 9:39:30 PM2/16/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Looking good. Feb 26th and Mar 5th will be the nights I head up there. Unless we get 10 feet of snow . . . .

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Image removed by sender.

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
image003.jpg
image004.jpg

Chris Larson

Feb 16, 2022, 9:47:00 PM2/16/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Cool Jeff! I'll miss you on the 26th (out of town), but I will definitely try to get there March 5.

Chris