Total Eclipse of the Moon

Paul Kovacik

May 20, 2021, 2:57:01 PM5/20/21
to SAS Google Group
Hi Everybody,
We have a total eclipse of the moon coming on 05/26/2021 which starts at 01:47AM.

TimePhase   EventDirection   Altitude
1:47 am Wed, May 26

Penumbral Eclipse begins The Earth's penumbra starts touching the Moon's face.Map direction South-southwest 192°
30.0°
2:44 am Wed, May 26

Partial Eclipse begins Partial moon eclipse starts - moon is getting red.Map direction South-southwest 206°
26.2°
4:11 am Wed, May 26

Total Eclipse begins Total moon eclipse starts - completely red moon.Map direction Southwest 224°
16.3°
4:18 am Wed, May 26

Maximum Eclipse Moon is closest to the center of the shadow.Map direction Southwest 226°
15.3°
4:25 am Wed, May 26

Total Eclipse ends Total moon eclipse ends.Map direction Southwest 227°
14.3°
5:52 am Wed, May 26

Partial Eclipse ends Partial moon eclipse ends.
Moon close to horizon, recommend going to a high point.
Map direction West-southwest 241°
1.0°
6:01 am Wed, May 26SettingMoonset SettingMap direction West-southwest 242°
-0.2°

Thanks,
Paul Kovacik

--
An Astronomer is a person that needs lots of S P A C E.

Tim Clark

May 25, 2021, 9:33:22 PM5/25/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I’m curious what anyone may be doing to view the lunar eclipse tonight?

I think I’ll climb up on my roof about 4am to get a western view of it .

Starxplror

May 25, 2021, 9:48:44 PM5/25/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I’ll be observing from home also.

Fred

Sent from my iPad

On May 25, 2021, at 6:33 PM, 'Tim Clark' via Stockton Astronomical Society <stockt...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

 I’m curious what anyone may be doing to view the lunar eclipse tonight?

Bill Litel

May 25, 2021, 9:49:48 PM5/25/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I’ll have a look before heading up the hill for work.

William E. Litel
Vegetation Program Mgr.
ACRT Pacific, LLC

May 25, 2021, 9:56:40 PM5/25/21
to SAS Google Group
I'm going to try to do a time lapse video. If I'm successful I will send it out to everyone. If I'm not successful - I tried. 🤷

Paul Kovacik

An Astronomer is someone who needs lots of S P A C E

spacecadetdoug

May 25, 2021, 10:01:03 PM5/25/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I think I  will crawl outta bed at 2am gawk a bit then go back to bed so I  can actually get some sleep before I go to work.

James Schuknecht

May 26, 2021, 1:23:46 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I’m going out too. I have a good view of the western sky from my patio and have my 5” SCT already set up. Good temps an moderate winds should make for a fine night here in Lodi.

Sent from my iPhone

Jason Keyes

May 26, 2021, 1:46:18 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
I have to work at 7am, so I'll have to sleep through this one...

--
Jason Keyes

Maria R. Garza

May 26, 2021, 7:16:06 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, Jason Keyes
Here is what I was able to get with my ancient phone

James Schuknecht

May 26, 2021, 7:28:00 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, Jason Keyes
Did any one else see the fireball descend from above and about 2degrees south of the moon at about 4:12 AM? Very beautiful and unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 26, 2021, at 4:16 AM, 'Maria R. Garza' via Stockton Astronomical Society <stockt...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Here is what I was able to get with my ancient phone
<20210526_041229.jpg>

<20210526_041214.jpg>

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/stocktonastro/1955049189.157299.1622027747957%40mail.yahoo.com.
<20210526_041229.jpg>
<20210526_041214.jpg>

Frederick Schumacher

May 26, 2021, 8:32:01 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
This morning's eclipse at mid-eclipse.

Fred
20210526_041229.jpg
20210526_041214.jpg
DSC_7296a.jpg

Bill Litel

May 26, 2021, 9:57:34 AM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Very nice! Thank you for sharing

William E. Litel
Vegetation Program Mgr.
ACRT Pacific, LLC

May 26, 2021, 12:07:41 PM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Looks beautiful Fred, nice job!

Mark

On May 26, 2021, at 6:57 AM, Bill Litel <bli...@acrtinc.com> wrote:

Very nice! Thank you for sharing

William E. Litel
Vegetation Program Mgr.
ACRT Pacific, LLC

Here is what I was able to get with my ancient phone
<20210526_041229.jpg>
<20210526_041214.jpg>

Frederick Schumacher

May 26, 2021, 12:12:26 PM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, Mark Gibbons
Thanks Mark!

Fred

Douglas Christensen

May 26, 2021, 12:22:45 PM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Beautiful Shot!!
Thanks Fred.
I sent this on to several of my friends....Thought about claiming it as my own....But no.
Where is the data...was this video, one exposure, which telescope????

Douglas Christensen

Public Outreach Coordinator

Stockton Astronomical Society

209/462-0798 (American Sign)

209/471-1674 (Cell)

www.stocktonastro.org

Frederick Schumacher

May 26, 2021, 12:32:18 PM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, Douglas Christensen
Thanks Doug,

Here is the 'tech': ED80 refractor with a 17mm eyepiece projection (~34X) into a D7100 Nikon body. ISO=2000. Exposure was 5 seconds. No post processing.

Fred

20210526_041229.jpg
20210526_041214.jpg

Paul Kovacik

May 26, 2021, 8:38:13 PM5/26/21
to SAS Google Group
Maria,
Nice couple of photos. 👍

An Astronomer is someone who needs lots of S P A C E

Paul Kovacik

May 26, 2021, 8:40:12 PM5/26/21
to SAS Google Group
James, no I didn't see a fireball. Wish that I had. That would have been cool.

An Astronomer is someone who needs lots of S P A C E

Paul Kovacik

May 26, 2021, 8:42:02 PM5/26/21
to SAS Google Group
Fred, great picture! Nicely done!

An Astronomer is someone who needs lots of S P A C E

Fred Schumacher

May 26, 2021, 10:15:25 PM5/26/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul,

Fred

Sent from my iPhone

Jeffrey B. Baldwin

May 28, 2021, 10:41:52 AM5/28/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com, Jason Keyes

I must’ve had my eyes in the wrong direction at that moment.

These “on the edge of the umbra” eclipses never look total to me.

Back to bed . . .

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

Did any one else see the fireball descend from above and about 2degrees south of the moon at about 4:12 AM? Very beautiful and unexpected.

Image removed by sender. Map direction South-southwest192°

30.0°

2:44 am Wed, May 26

Partial Eclipse begins Partial moon eclipse starts - moon is getting red.

Image removed by sender. Map direction South-southwest206°

26.2°

4:11 am Wed, May 26

Total Eclipse begins Total moon eclipse starts - completely red moon.

Image removed by sender. Map direction Southwest224°

16.3°

4:18 am Wed, May 26

Maximum Eclipse Moon is closest to the center of the shadow.

Image removed by sender. Map direction Southwest226°

15.3°

4:25 am Wed, May 26

Total Eclipse ends Total moon eclipse ends.

Image removed by sender. Map direction Southwest227°

14.3°

5:52 am Wed, May 26

Partial Eclipse ends Partial moon eclipse ends.
Moon close to horizon, recommend going to a high point.

Image removed by sender. Map direction West-southwest241°

1.0°

6:01 am Wed, May 26

Setting

Moonset Setting

Image removed by sender. Map direction West-southwest242°

-0.2°

Image removed by sender.

~WRD000.jpg
image001.jpg

Jeffrey B. Baldwin

May 28, 2021, 10:41:53 AM5/28/21
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

I’m going to walk about 2 blocks and gawk. When I see it and it’s better than I thought it was going to be, I’ll wish I’d gone to Hwy 4.

Jeff Baldwin

Lathrop, CA

I’m curious what anyone may be doing to view the lunar eclipse tonight?

I think I’ll climb up on my roof about 4am to get a western view of it .

Tim

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone