Astronomy In the Park!

Michael Chapman

Oct 30, 2022, 12:05:47 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Morning All!

I just wanted to give a big thank you to everyone for making last night memorable.

Eric, for the conversation and for letting me look through your 14inch to see the Core of M31 through a telescope for the first time

Bill, for showing me the sky Atlas, I wish we had more time to talk last night, I hope to make up for that in December.

And finally Doug, For showing me how to star hop, letting me look through his binos, and the conversation.

I couldn’t get my DSLR to focus last night for epic shots of the moon, but seeing Jupiter through a 3x Barlow, craters on the moon with shadows! The 8” Dobsonian was 100% the right call and I’m glad I was able to observe things for the first time through it while also letting the general public get the same wow factor as I was at the same time. Gotta figure out why the DSLR wasn’t focusing on the moon and a few other minor hiccups. But last night was a complete and utter success and I could hardly contain my excitement.

Thank you all.

Michael Chapman

T. 484-750-1011

bal...@comcast.net

Oct 30, 2022, 12:20:44 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Hey Michael:

I wasn’t there last night Michael, but the difference in focus position for an eyepiece and a camera are a long ways different You may just have to screw the focuser a long ways until focus hits.

Baldy

Bill Litel

Oct 30, 2022, 12:42:16 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
You’re more than welcome

William E. Litel

Contract Vegetation Program Mgr.

ISA Certified Arborist WE-5486-A

TRAQ Certified, Calif. Cert. Nrsy. Pro. 2114

ACRT Pacific, LLC

Cell: 209-302-0095

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, EMPLOYEE, OR AGENT RESPONSIBLE FOR DELIVERING THE MESSAGE TO THE INTENDED RECIPIENT, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY US IMMEDIATELY. THANK YOU.

Oct 30, 2022, 12:52:26 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Michael,

Depending on where the focal plane is for your mirror, your focuser may be too short or too long. I recall needing a longer focus tube (or an extension) on a scope I once had. A couple measurements should help you discover the issue :)

Jason

bal...@comcast.net

Oct 30, 2022, 1:41:07 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com

Michael, it’s a C-8, or an 8” Dob? A c-8, you can make it happen, and 8” Dob, it CAN’T happen, the focuser is either for eyepieces or camera, but not both.

spacecadetdoug

Oct 30, 2022, 3:37:07 PM10/30/22
to stockt...@googlegroups.com
Michael,  your enthusiasm was/is infectious.....THANKS!!
It was a pleasure having your company last night.

Doug