I-80 Freeway Expansion Teach-In 8 Nov 7-8.30pm DCC Fellowship Hall 412 C St

Alessa Johns

Oct 30, 2023, 6:55:04 PM10/30/23
to stmarti...@googlegroups.com
Dear St. Martin Green Group Members,
Here is an important invitation to a Teach In about the proposed expansion of I-80 between Davis and West Sacramento:

Lynne Nittler, Chair of the Yolo Interfaith Alliance for Climate Justice, explains:
"The issue is the proposed widening of I-80 by Caltrans if approved by the Yolo County Supervisors. The US Government is offering the funding needed, and in the past the supervisors have automatically accepted the funds and welcomed the additional lanes to widen I-80 as the traffic is always increasing along the corridor between the Bay Area and Sacramento.
However, the decision should be made with great care. Communities across the country are re-thinking transportation systems. As you will read, just one more lane on I-80 adds 15.06 percent more to the Davis carbon footprint (or 468,000 more metric tons per year). That's 7 more million tons of pollution per capita! Driving is already 65% of the Davis carbon footprint. The addition of two new lanes (one each direction) on I-80 will add another 15% to our carbon footprint.
The deal is not inevitable. We have other choices! Please attend the Freeway Teach-in presented by the Davis Futures Forum on the I-80 Corridor. It's Wednesday, November 8th from 7:00-8:30 p.m. at the Davis Community Church Fellowship Hall at 412 C Street."
To sign up and for more information see the attached flyer; please feel free to pass it on and invite anyone who might be interested.
Thank you!
Alessa Johns
Chair, Care for God's Creation Committee
Episcopal Church of St. Martin, Davis, CA

I-80 teach-In (2) - Congestion Mobility Climate 2023 11 08.pdf

Alessa Johns

Nov 10, 2023, 2:58:14 PM11/10/23
to stmartin-green

Dear St. Martin Green Group Members,
Two messages:
First, the teach-in about the proposed widening of I-80 has been postponed. It will be held in January, and I will send you the new date, time, and place when that information is available.
Second, if you are interested in and/or would like to comment on the Yolo County Climate Action and Adaptation Plan (CAAP), please join one of the upcoming workshops being held throughout the County. A session will be held in Davis on December 8th from 4-7pm. See https://tinyurl.com/bw53bdmv or view the flyer attachment below, which also contains a QR code.
Peace,
Alessa

Alessa Johns, Ph.D.
Professor Emerita of English, UC Davis