Sermon/Lectionary and Lunch!! Sunday, March 30th

tterry324

Mar 25, 2014, 9:43:52 PM3/25/14
to stmargaret...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

During the Young Adult Formation discussion group tonight (the group helping me with my capstone project research), there was an interest expressed in being more intentional about engaging the lectionary and the weekly sermons offered each week.  More specifically the group talked about wanting to get together after the service on Sunday for conversation, reflections, questions/discussion about the Gospel reading and the sermon each week.

So here is the "plan" (per our discussion tonight) -- take time this week to read the readings for Sunday March 30th.  Read them as many times as you feel called to do between now and Sunday.  Write down any of the words, phrases or themes within each passage that catch your attention or raise questions for you.  What you write, how much you write, or how often you write is up to you.

We will get together for lunch/brunch after the 11:15 service and share our experience with the scripture during the week as well as our experience with the sermon.

The link below is a great site that contains the lectionary readings as well as art and prayers for each week.

Peace,
~Teresa

Emily Guthrie

Mar 26, 2014, 10:35:14 AM3/26/14
to stmargaret...@googlegroups.com
This is great - and something more than the 20s and 30s might be interested in!!
Will this be a pilot? Will it happen more than once? (might be good to name a time frame so that if someone can't come this Sunday, but is interested in another time - they know it will be there. Even if it's for a month or three weeks, etc.
Does this take the place of the 2nd sunday brunch? (I hope so - but just being clear)
 Also, it's important if you are organizing/advising that that be clear...something to think about.  Are Mason and/or Lucas still the coordinators?

OK, just some organizational questions! It sounds like you're having some GREAT conversations.
Blessings!

The Rev. Emily Guthrie
Assistant Rector, St. Margaret's Episcopal Church
1830 Connecticut Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20009

Mason Ingram

Mar 26, 2014, 11:11:36 AM3/26/14
to stmargaret...@googlegroups.com
Hey Emily! My understanding (feel free to jump in, Teresa) is that we're trying a little pilot group this week and this will happen more than once, but we did not discuss how long the weekly meetings would go on. The idea of bringing food and/or going out to eat every week sounds taxing, so would it work for folks to plan to do this pilot after-church meetup weekly between now and Easter and stick to only worrying about bringing food/going out to eat on Second Sundays (the next would be Palm Sunday I think)?

I am willing to organize, but we discussed the need for a facilitator. Teresa, were you planning to facilitate discussion this week?

-Mason

Mason Ingram
Research Associate
Georgetown University Health Policy Institute
3300 Whitehaven Street NW, Suite 5000
Washington, DC 20057
T: 202.687.1565 (direct)
T: 334.318.5016 (mobile)
E: mc...@georgetown.edu

Lindy Bunch

Mar 26, 2014, 12:11:23 PM3/26/14
to stmargaret...@googlegroups.com
I won't be able to make it to the discussion (parents are in town), but I'll be preaching- will try to give y'all something to discuss! :)