Convert STL to AMF readable files + Graded matrial

Samira Nazemi Gelian

Feb 24, 2014, 7:31:58 PM2/24/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

I'm new to AMF software. I was wondering whether we can import an STL file and save it as a readable (I mean XML format)AMF file.

I tried several times, but I am getting a binary amf file out of it. Moreover, even when I save my own amf files the software convert them into executable/binary files.

I also have a question about graded materials. I add the proper tags to the xml amf file, but it doesn't appear in the GUI. Does any body have a good sample of graded materials.

Thank you in advance,
-somi

Hod Lipson

Feb 25, 2014, 9:49:26 AM2/25/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
If you unzip your binary AMF you should get a text AMF. To do this, change the .amf extension to .zip, then unzip, then change the extension to .txt.
However it might be a very large file.

I will check on viewing graded materials.

--hod

Hod Lipson
Associate Prof. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Computing & Information Science
Cornell University, 242 Upson Hall, Ithaca NY 14853, USA
Office: (607) 255 1686 Lab: (607) 254 8940 Fax: (607) 255 1222
Email: Hod.L...@cornell.edu
Web: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson
Administrative Assistant: Craig Ryan, cd...@cornell.edu (607) 255-0992, Upson 258
Calendar: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson/calendar.htm

Jonathan Hiller

Feb 25, 2014, 11:33:01 AM2/25/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi Somi,

Regarding the graded material: I just uploaded a simple example to the sample files page of the amf wiki for you (http://amf.wikispaces.com/file/view/Amf_Cube_Gradient.amf/491884672/Amf_Cube_Gradient.amf). You can view the gradient in the amf editor by selecting view->slice and moving through the layers of your part. You can edit and create your own gradient materials by selecting edit materials and checking the "composite material" box.

  ~J

Samira Nazemi Gelian

Mar 1, 2014, 8:12:24 PM3/1/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your response,

I was so excited that I forgot to say thank you!
I have one more question about multiple material objects. Would you please provide me an example of using palette and regions?

Best regards
-somi

sumanta mukherjee

Nov 26, 2014, 12:53:08 PM11/26/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!
I need to create some porous models with graded interconnected porosity. I was trying to create the models using the cad softwares, but from the description of the amf files, it seems to be a better option. Unfortunately, the wikispaces pages are not loading, showing "Subscription Expired" message. Is there any other website that is alive? Is it possible to upload the cube gradient emf gain?

Thanks and regards,

Sumanta

Hod Lipson

Nov 26, 2014, 1:19:11 PM11/26/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
AMF website is now back live. Thanks for pointing this out.
--hod