RE: AMF, open access (status update)

Hod Lipson

May 15, 2013, 12:38:14 PM5/15/13
to st...@googlegroups.com

A quick update on making AMF open access.

After an initial discussion, ASTM officials have asked that we formally file a request to make AMF open access for three years.

The request has been formally drafted and is now being approved by the F42 committee.

Once the request is approved, ASTM (and ISO) will make a formal decision.

--hod

Hod Lipson

Associate Prof. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Computing & Information Science

Cornell University, 242 Upson Hall, Ithaca NY 14853, USA

Office: (607) 255 1686 Lab: (607) 254 8940 Fax: (607) 255 1222

Email: Hod.L...@cornell.edu

Web: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson

Administrative Assistant:  Craig Ryan  cd...@cornell.edu

Aug 27, 2013, 3:36:14 AM8/27/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Great news. Looking forward to seeing the standard being officially open.

Leonid Raiz

Oct 25, 2013, 12:13:44 PM10/25/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hod,

Any news regarding open access to AMF format spec? Information available on Wikipedia is abbreviated. I think having open access to the official document would help standard adoption.

Thanks,
- LR

On Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:38:14 PM UTC-4, Hod Lipson wrote:

A quick update on making AMF open access.

After an initial discussion, ASTM officials have asked that we formally file a request to make AMF open access for three years.

The request has been formally drafted and is now being approved by the F42 committee.

Once the request is approved, ASTM (and ISO) will make a formal decision.

--hod

Hod Lipson

Associate Prof. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Computing & Information Science

Cornell University, 242 Upson Hall, Ithaca NY 14853, USA

Office: (607) 255 1686 Lab: (607) 254 8940 Fax: (607) 255 1222

Hod Lipson

Oct 31, 2013, 1:46:45 PM10/31/13
to st...@googlegroups.com

No final news yet. We went back and forth with ASTM. Since AMF is likely to be a joint ASTM/ISO standard, ASTM wants to see what ISO decides.

ISO is considering making part of the standard open access (e.g. just geometry) but leaving the rest paid (color, materials, constellations).

We are pushing to make it completely open access, at least for non-profits, individuals, and small companies.

--hod

Martin Wicke

Oct 31, 2013, 2:07:08 PM10/31/13
to st...@googlegroups.com

No final news yet. We went back and forth with ASTM. Since AMF is likely to be a joint ASTM/ISO standard, ASTM wants to see what ISO decides.

ISO is considering making part of the standard open access (e.g. just geometry) but leaving the rest paid (color, materials, constellations).

I know this is not your doing, but It is my belief that such a split will all but guarantee that AMF fails. People will follow the open standard, expecting it to work, but will not be able to read documents that also follow (allegedly) the same standard.

Also, without colors, materials, and instancing, there's absolutely not reason to use AMF over simpler formats like obj.

Leaving the format closed and relying on leaks to get the gist to Wikipedia is probably a better solution than a semi-open format leading to confusion and dilution.

Of course an actually open format is by far the most likely to succeed.

Martin

Markus Hitter

Oct 31, 2013, 2:19:15 PM10/31/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Am 31.10.2013 19:07, schrieb Martin Wicke:
> Of course an actually open format is by far the most likely to succeed.

Likely even the only way to make it succeed. To get a widespread
adoption, not only an open standard, but likely also an open source
implementation of at least the features found in STL is required.
Typically, open source developers are reluctant to deal with paid documents.

Markus

--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter

Hod Lipson

Oct 31, 2013, 6:19:14 PM10/31/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
The open source implementation is already posted on stl2.org
--hod

Feb 11, 2014, 2:27:54 PM2/11/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I hope this group is still alive as the last message seems to be 3 month old...

Are there any news about open access to the (full) specification?

And another question about the metadata tag... Is there some kind of registry for common names or suggested entries? On some presentations floating around I've seen "CAD" and "Software" to reference the software that generated the file.

-- Torsten

Hod Lipson

Feb 12, 2014, 6:46:32 PM2/12/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

Torsten,

Unfortunately I have not been able to make any progress on the AMF open-access issue.

A this time, the copyright owners are not are willing to release the document freely, even for a limited period.

My understanding is that standardization organizations operate entirely from small fees collected by standards' users.

This arrangement prevents large interests from having undue influence on standard development.

There are pros and cons to this model, but it may make sense even for small companies to spend $50 to keep it that way.

Frankly, unless you are planning to implement the full-blown AMF features (colors, multimaterials, lattices, constellations), you do not need the spec document to implement it. It is really simple. See the presentation, open source code and samples on AMF wiki: http://stl2.org/

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, please feel free to post or contact the F42 officers directly.

--hod

On 02/13/2014 12:46 AM, Hod Lipson wrote:
> A this time, the copyright owners are not are willing to release the document
> freely, even for a limited period.
> My understanding is that standardization organizations operate entirely from
> small fees collected by standards' users.

Thanks for the update. I suspected something along those lines. It's a bit
sad as this really makes adoption in the Open Source area a lot harder.

> Frankly, unless you are planning to implement the full-blown AMF features (colors,
> multimaterials, lattices, constellations), you do not need the spec document to
> implement it. It is really simple. See the presentation, open source code and
> samples on AMF wiki: http://stl2.org/

Well, right now I've reinstated the AMF export code from the 2 years old
pull request against OpenSCAD that is referenced on stl2.org. That is quite
simple and might make it into one of the next releases.

This was also the the reason for the question about the metadata as that
code currently used "cad", but the actual defined value is hidden in the
spec I guess.
A post on the list says "We replaced “cad” with “producer” because often the
file is generated by things other than CAD, e.g. by scanning software.",
the amf-tools code still checks for "cad".

I do have some working code that would allow to import models and actually
colors would be one of the main interesting features that AMF can provide
where STL is lacking.
But I do not feel very inclined to actually publish that and ask for
inclusion while the actual spec might hide some crucial details. And no,
it's not about the actual price to buy one copy of the spec.

-- Torsten

BobC

Feb 17, 2014, 6:26:50 PM2/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Can we create an Open Source version of the spec? As I understand copyright, it applies to the original document, not the ideas.

Alternatively, if we are limited to "simple AMF", we could just create a different Open Source format. XML is XML....

I've realised that AMF has some severe deficiencies with regard to material blending and color specification anyway, and the more advanced features are complicated but too limited at the same time. Those things might be difficult to fix without reworking the spec from the ground up.

Jacob Barhak

Feb 17, 2014, 6:51:07 PM2/17/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The standards organization acts like a selling point of the product - in this case the standard.

The question is if this is a strong enough "seller" to help companies adopt the standard.

If there is a big enough buyer that decides to adopt AMF without the standard organization in the middle then going open makes sense. Is there a big company interested in this standard? What does this company want?

The issue becomes when there are multiple stakeholders - each pulling the standard in their own direction. Then regulation is needed and the standards organization takes additional roles.

If AMF is in early stages of adoption then benefits are unclear and it seems reasonable to have different competing paths of open/standard based. Once adoption increases it will be clear which path was better.

Regardless if the path, I hope adopters will respond favorably.

Jacob

Sent from my iPhone

BobC

Feb 19, 2014, 1:43:23 PM2/19/14
to st...@googlegroups.com
I think the "big company" is Microsoft, and unsurprisingly they have decided to go a different direction.

The success of the internet has shown that you don't need committees to create useful standards, and when you can communicate globally and instantly they are more of a hindrance. Linus Torvalds has shown that individual amateur effort can have a big impact.

So I will suspect that the big players will go to Microsoft, the little guys like me will go elsewhere, and AMF will stagnate.

In terms of being an "STL 2.0", I have to say I think that AMF has failed already.

Charles Overy

Feb 19, 2014, 7:11:14 PM2/19/14
to st...@googlegroups.com

I don't think that Microsoft is the big player in AMF adoption.   What 3dsytems supports for file import and if they move to a closed or open format for their cad scanning content printing workflows will have a bigger near term impact.  IMHO.

Charles