Ambiguty of ObjectId

Reinoud Zandijk

Jan 13, 2013, 3:51:53 PM1/13/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
Dear folks,

when implementing constellations, i ran into the objectid attribute. It
*seems* that this attribute is globally unique for both objects and
constellations, is this correct?

So basicly do we have one number space for Objects, Constellations and a
separete one for Materials?

With regards,
Reinoud

Hod Lipson

Jan 13, 2013, 5:25:23 PM1/13/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
That's correct. Objects and Constellations share the same number space, because a constellation can refer to other objects and/or constellations.

Materials, however, are separate.

--hod

Jesse McGatha

Jan 14, 2013, 5:53:14 AM1/14/13
to st...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, January 13, 2013 2:25:23 PM UTC-8, Hod Lipson wrote:
That's correct. Objects and Constellations share the same number space, because a constellation can refer to other objects and/or constellations.

Materials, however, are separate.

For what it's worth, having two separate ID uniqueness constraints in a single XML document is not able to be enforced by schema. It would be better if the number space were unique IDs across the entire XML document. (xs:id schema type)

-Jesse

Reinoud Zandijk

Jan 14, 2013, 7:47:43 AM1/14/13
to st...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 02:53:14AM -0800, Jesse McGatha wrote:
> > That's correct. Objects and Constellations share the same number space,
> > because a constellation can refer to other objects and/or constellations.
> >
> > Materials, however, are separate.
> >

> For what it's worth, having two separate ID uniqueness constraints in a
> single XML document is not able to be enforced by schema. It would be
> better if the number space were unique IDs across the entire XML document.
> (xs:id schema type)

Then textures and possibly also material ID's should be unique over the entire
file?

With regards,
Reinoud

Jesse McGatha

Jan 16, 2013, 7:21:00 AM1/16/13
to st...@googlegroups.com, rei...@13thmonkey.org

On Monday, January 14, 2013 4:47:43 AM UTC-8, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:

> For what it's worth, having two separate ID uniqueness constraints in a
> single XML document is not able to be enforced by schema. It would be
> better if the number space were unique IDs across the entire XML document.
> (xs:id schema type)

Then textures and possibly also material ID's should be unique over the entire
file?

I think that would be worth considering adding to the spec. There are significant benefits to having all ID fields be schematized as xs:id for easily validating a file's conformance with the spec programmatically or otherwise.

-Jesse

Hod Lipson

Jan 16, 2013, 11:37:55 AM1/16/13
to st...@googlegroups.com

That’s a good idea. Lets add it then to next revision.

If anyone can see a problem with this please discuss.

--hod

Hod Lipson

Associate Prof. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering and Computing & Information Science

Cornell University, 242 Upson Hall, Ithaca NY 14853, USA

Office: (607) 255 1686 Lab: (607) 254 8940 Fax: (607) 255 1222

Email: Hod.L...@cornell.edu

Web: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson

Administrative Assistant:  Craig Ryan  cd...@cornell.edu, (607) 255-6981, Upson 258

Calendar: http://www.mae.cornell.edu/lipson/calendar.htm