Crestwood police officers join the (Ku Klux Klan democrat) Teamsters

1 view

Rebel Flag Bitches

May 14, 2016, 4:18:07 PM5/14/16
CRESTWOOD • The police department here has become the first in
the St. Louis area to join the Teamsters union.

Earlier this year, city officials explored outsourcing police
services in the community of about 11,000 people to St. Louis
County. Crestwood Officer Dion Olson said union talks were
occurring in January, before officers knew their department
might be disbanded.

Ultimately, city leaders opted to keep the department after
residents voiced strong support for it, despite declining sales
tax revenue.

Olson said 18 officers voted unanimously April 29 to join the
union. Eight supervisors will not be in the union.

“The timing was completely coincidental,” Olson said. “We have a
great relationship with the staff and the officers are here
because we love the community.

“We’re looking at things such as health care costs, which are
continuing to go up and down, and we want to lock in those costs
at a rate we and our families can afford.”

Olson said the Teamsters also offer a legal defense fund that
was attractive to officers.

“Now we have our own representation instead of waiting for the
city to get an attorney should we need one, if they even will,”
Olson said. “We wanted a voice to be able to, if we did have a
grievance or an issue, have some sort of recourse.”

City Administrator Kris Simpson said, “This is something that
the officers thought was in their best interest, and I look
forward to working with the Teamsters in negotiation to address
whatever needs they may have. We have a common interest in that
we want what’s best for our employees, so that’s what we’re
going to do.”

The new members joined the Teamsters Law Enforcement League.

Kevin Ahlbrand, president of Missouri’s Fraternal Order of
Police, the state’s largest police group, said he was surprised.
“I’m happy that these officers have some type of labor
representation,” he said, but added, “No one can represent cops
better than other cops.”

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/crestwood-
police-officers-join-the-teamsters/article_7c4a4525-2393-52a8-
8661-75c5d0d26163.html