BarCamp is This Saturday!

Matt Follett

Nov 2, 2009, 12:44:53 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I meant to send this out sooner, if you get a chance to look it over
let me know what you think and I'll send it to the larger group this
evening.

If someone can reword the fourth paragraph that would mean a lot to
me. I can't get a wording I like. I'm trying to say in there not to
give any talks that would be very inappropriate, which shouldn't be a
problem for most people but still may need to be included.

Thanks,
Matt

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hey BarCampers!

This is a reminder that BarCamp St. Louis 2009 is this Saturday.
Registration will start at 10:00 AM on the first floor of the Lopata
building on Washington University's Danforth Campus. Be sure to check
the wiki ( http://barcamp.org/BarCamp-Saint-Louis-2009 ) for
information on parking, a map of the area, and any other information.

Saturday's lunch will be pizza, if you haven't responded to the food
survey please do so soon as the order will be placed Tuesday
afternoon. Saturday's lunch is provided by Lisa Rokusek with AgentHR
and Kyle Cordes with Oasis Digital Computing, LLC. If you happen to
see them in the halls be sure to stop them and thank them.

Don't forget to be prepared for your presentation. If your laptop
outputs video as something other than VGA be sure to bring a VGA
connector. Also, don't forget to bring a power supply in case you
need one.

When trying to decide on the things you'll be presenting on please try
and be conscience of your talk and, while everyone wants a wide
variety of talks, please make sure they are respectful of other
attendees. When evaluating your presentation be sure to use these
questions to make sure it is ready:
1) Does the name of my talk provide people with information on the
level of experience for this talk?
2) Does my talk cater to that level of experience?
3) Should this talk evolve into a discussion, if so, will this lead
into that?

Finally, if you've registered for BarCamp and you will not be able to
make BarCamp please respond to this email and let me know so that I
can cancel your registration so that we don't allocate resources for
you that you don't use.

Thanks,
BarCamp Staff

Sarah Burcham

Nov 2, 2009, 10:40:08 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Matt - a potential alternative to paragraph 4.  I shamelessly stole and modified this from a professional responsibility blurb on the core values of journalism.

A few notes on personal responsibility and playing nice in the sandbox: please respect general standards of good taste and basic regard for others. We ask our speakers and participants to share the responsibility of making Bar Camp 2009 a success.  You can do this by helping us create an interactive forum characterized by civil, respectful discussions and subject matter.  In other words, make your momma proud.

We absolutely encourage dialogue on a wide range of topics.  When evaluating your presentation be sure to use these questions to make sure it is ready:

1)  Does the name of my talk provide people with information on the level of experience for this talk?
2)  Does my talk cater to that level of experience?
3)  Should this talk evolve into a discussion, if so, will this lead into that?

Matt Follett

Nov 2, 2009, 10:45:56 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Sarah,

Thanks!  I'd much rather steal from someone that sounds good than use junk I came up with.

thanks,
Matt

Kevin Archie

Nov 2, 2009, 11:08:53 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com

So I’m working on a talk, and I’m wrestling a bit with copyright.  I’m accustomed to talking in clearly nonprofit/educational settings, where fair use applies, so I liberally use other people’s figures (with attribution).  For Strange Loop, I suddenly realized the night before my talk that there could be legal issues, and wound up digging out my daughter’s markers to make figures from scratch.  BarCamp seems a little more like a fair-use setting, but I want to properly respect copyright, especially if there’s an expectation that the slides will be made publicly available.  Anyone who’s done this before have any insights?  (If it really comes down to contacting the rights holders individually, I’ll probably either dig out the markers again or just plan for a chalkboard talk.)

Thanks,

  Kevin

Matthew Taylor

Nov 2, 2009, 11:14:34 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
I use Flickr a lot for images, and in the advanced search you can specify images with the CC license, which allows you to use them in any way you wish.

Example: http://www.flickr.com/search/?l=cc&mt=photos&adv=1&w=all&q=nebula&m=text

where the "l=cc" means Creative Commons license.

---
Matthew Taylor
http://dangertree.net

Brad Hogenmiller

Nov 2, 2009, 11:26:03 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
I think you can accomplish that in Google image search as well...

lisa rokusek

Nov 2, 2009, 11:34:01 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com

I use http://www.dreamstime.com   for images. It has never let me down yet, even when I needed to have a man in a suit with a dollar sign for a head.   Or an umbrella in a storm, or a graph showing the financial apocalypse.

Also makes me happy to support photographers designers and artists with money, even if it is only a little.

Lisa Rokusek CPC/CTS

AgentHR, Inc.

Cell: 314.409.5633

Office: 314.431.5083

Fax:  716.809.5633

Twitter:  @lisarokusek

IM: lrokusek (AIM) stlrecruiter (Google Talk) lisarok (Yahoo) lisarokusek (Windows Live)

Profile http://www.unhub.com/lisarokusek

agent_member_email_logo

image001.gif

Alex Miller

Nov 2, 2009, 11:45:04 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
istockphoto is also excellent (but not free)

Matthew Taylor

Nov 2, 2009, 11:48:11 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
About istockphoto, yes it has some really great images (probably the best you'll find).  But it was cost-prohibitive for me.  I like to use a lot of big images in my presentations, and it would have cost me a couple hundred bucks for the stuff I wanted for my last few slide decks.

---
Matthew Taylor
http://dangertree.net

Alex Miller

Nov 2, 2009, 11:58:10 AM11/2/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Yep, I use it judiciously.  I've found the medium size images are usually suitable even for full-bleed backgrounds and I can even get away with the small ones for other uses.  I also usually pay for it out of my "business expenses" from my meager speaking/writing income.