Name Tag Idea

Matt Follett

Oct 27, 2009, 12:13:47 AM10/27/09
to stl-barcamp
Hey all,

While I was fidgeting with my Strange Loop nametag last week I had an
idea. I realized that it might be useful to forgo the standard name
tags for a mini whiteboard name tag. I figured we could take
whiteboards the size of the Strange Loop name tags and put a name
sticker on the back and then run the string so that the backs were
facing forward. Then, if anyone wanted to illustrate something they
were talking about to someone next to them they could flip it over and
draw out the idea.

Obviously ~50 small whiteboards would be expensive, but we could use
laminated shower boards from Lowes and cut a couple of those into
pieces.

What do people think? Would anyone be willing to help cut boards?

thanks,
Matt Follett

Matt Follett

Oct 27, 2009, 12:47:03 AM10/27/09
to stl-barcamp
Really, laminated paper would actually work well enough and would be cheaper and easier.

Robert Ward

Oct 27, 2009, 12:52:34 AM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
I like the idea, but you'll also have to attach pens to the lanyards, or no one will ever have one to write with.

~Bob

Alex Miller

Oct 27, 2009, 1:10:58 AM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
awesome idea

if you want to use the plastic badges I had at Strange Loop, I have lots and would be happy to donate some, esp if they mostly came back to me at the end.  they are 4"x6".

Bill Odom

Oct 27, 2009, 10:16:20 AM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Here are the ones we used for BarCampBlock 2007 in Palo Alto:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/1163117036/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/1163067548/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/sets/72157601499268033/

Seems like they went over pretty well. :-)

Matt Follett

Oct 27, 2009, 1:26:47 PM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Those look good, a little more structured than I had imagined.  What do the backs look like?  Also, do you know where they got them?

~Matt

Matt Follett

Oct 27, 2009, 1:27:32 PM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
They'd work really well.  We'd have to make sure we found some really good cleaner to clean them afterwards though, I'd hate to mark up your badge holders.  How many do you have?

Alex Miller

Oct 27, 2009, 1:39:55 PM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
I have 1000. :)  If we're talking 50 people, I'll just donate them.

Bill Odom

Oct 27, 2009, 2:19:24 PM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Matt Follett <matt.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those look good, a little more structured than I had imagined.  What do the
> backs look like?

Sort of a watermark of the BarCamp flame logo, with a spot at the
bottom for a name:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/1162269799/in/set-72157601499268033/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/1171885563/in/set-72157601499268033/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/barcamp/1163871834/in/set-72157601499268033/

> Also, do you know where they got them?

Dunno. I'll email Chris or Tara and see what I can find out.

Bill

Bill Odom

Oct 28, 2009, 3:40:39 PM10/28/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com

Chris says...

> The site is ugly, but I believe we went with these guys:
>
> http://bandpasses.com
>
> Good turn around time and easy to work with... you might mention
> iPhoneDevCamp — or BarCamp. They might remember us. ;)

Bill