BarCamp Essentials

Matt Follett

Oct 27, 2009, 12:29:23 AM10/27/09
to stl-barcamp
Hey folks,

I've come up with a list of things that we'll need to find for BarCamp.  It is a little bare though, so please let me know if you can think of something I'm forgetting:
  • Schedule boards, which could be one of three things:
    • Dry erase boards on loan from a company
    • laminated shower board from a hardware store
    • butcher paper
  • Name tags, either:
    • name tag stickers
    • name tags on string
      • name tags
      • name tag holders
    • dry erase name tags
      • laminated shower board
      • string
      • stickers
  • Dry erase markers, quantity:
    • 50+ if we do the dry erase name tag
    • 15 if we don't
  • signs including:
    • laminated signs outside to direct people (6 should suffice)
    • wooden stakes or some such for laminated signs
    • plain signs for directing people around the buildings (probably should get 20, depending on how you go the buildings can be confusing plus some could disappear)
  • If we can do food:
    • housekeeping costs ($200)
    • 50 meals for lunch Sunday (~$450)
    • 50 meals for lunch Saturday (~$450)
    • anything for morning snacks?  coffee?
thanks,
Matt Follett

Alex Miller

Oct 27, 2009, 1:14:04 AM10/27/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
Have you considered potlucking the food?  Might be surprisingly cheap and effective.  My uncle (who was a legendary community builder) was a fanatic believer in potlucks.

Matt Follett

Oct 29, 2009, 1:42:42 PM10/29/09
to stl-b...@googlegroups.com
I meant to respond to this, sorry for ignoring you.  I really like the idea and I think it would certainly be in the feel of a BarCamp.  However I'm a little worried about the logistics of some decent percentage of 50 people bringing food for everyone else.