Fwd: LCMS Mission Advancement Gift Planning eNewsletter

jeremy klaustermeier

May 25, 2024, 7:46:23 AMMay 25
to stjohnsw...@googlegroups.com

Gift Planning news
Enewsletter Header
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
Widget Widget Widget
About Bequests IRA Charitable Rollover Beneficiary Designations

Eight Common Estate Planning Mistakes

Recently I came across an article (Kiplinger) that identified eight common estate planning mistakes. Unfortunately, there is still a sizable number of people that fall into one or more of these categories. The categories the Kiplinger author lists are:

  1. Procrastination   Forty percent of people who do not have a Will are waiting for a medical diagnosis to then create a Will.
  2. Create an Estate Plan on Your Own   While this can be done, studies show that self-created plans usually have one or more mistakes that create some challenges and more costs later.
  3. Leaving Loved Ones Uninformed   Keeping loved ones informed can help limit conflict later.
  4. Keeping Estate Documents in a Safe or Safe Deposit Box   These places can be difficult to access. Providing copies to executor/trustee and trusted loved ones provides smooth processing.
  5. Missing Key Documents    There are times where key documents are missing and create confusion and disputes in the future.
  6. Overlooking Digital Assets   Whether cryptocurrencies, important documents in the “cloud” or social media accounts, many do not have a “digital fiduciary” with access to these accounts when you pass.
  7. Not Keeping Your Estate Plan Up-To-Date    Marital status, death, birth, asset acquisition and law changes create a need to review your plan to determine if it is still effective.
  8. Appointing the Wrong Executor and/or Trustee   Sometimes the heart motivates decision making and it could be the wrong decision. One should select a person that is willing and up to the task.

Our trained staff is also available to collaborate with you and your attorney in either reviewing your gift (estate) plan or assisting in implementing a new plan that replaces a long-outdated plan. Should you wish to make use of our assistance, please contact us at giftpl...@lcms.org or call 314/996-1680. We would be privileged to help you steward God’s blessings – for your loved ones and for the Kingdom.

I hope you will enjoy this issue of our weekly newsletter. If you have a question regarding any of the articles, please do not hesitate in reaching out to us for further explanation.

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend! Please take a moment, if not more, to remember the great sacrifice some have made for our country.

Blessed to be a Blessing,

Mike Fischer
Senior Gift Planning Advocate
LCMS Mission Advancement

The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod Mission Advancement team coordinates closely with The LCMS Foundation for needed gift planning legal support and trust management.

Personal Planner
Personal Planner
Domicile - Where You Live Affects Your Taxes
A successful business owner with a large estate passed away in 1976. He had grown up in Texas, moved to California and also lived for many years in Nevada.
Read More »
Savvy Living
Savvy Living
Ways to Make Gardening Easier
What tips can you offer to make gardening easier on the body? I love to putter around and work in the garden, but my back and knees have caused me to curtail my gardening activities.
Read More »
Donor Story
Donor Story
Implementing a Christian Estate Plan
"We want our estate to further God's kingdom".
Read More »
Washington News
Washington News
Free File Extended for Five Years - Direct File Decision Promised Soon
On May 22, 2024, the Internal Revenue Service announced a five-year extension of the Free File program. With Free File, taxpayers can use tax-filing software at no cost. During the 2024 filing season, there were approximately 2.9 million returns filed using...
Read More »
Finances
Finances
Zoom Posts Earnings

Treasury Yields Inch Higher

Mortgage Rates Drop Again

Thank you for your interest in gift planning. To access any of our resources, please go to our website.
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
FREE ESTATE PLANNING GUIDE
Wills Guide
It's never too late to plan for the people and causes you care about. Our easy-to-use estate planning guide can help you gather the information you need before meeting with your attorney.

Request Guide »
■ ■ ■ ■ ■
PLANNED GIVING CALCULATORS
Calculator
Use our online calculator to view the tax and income benefits of making a gift to support our cause. This can help you determine the best plan to meet your needs and goals.

View Calculators »
The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, 1333 S. Kirkwood Rd., St. Louis, MO 63122-7226
Adjust My Settings/Unsubscribe From This Email | Privacy Policy
© 2024 Crescendo Interactive, Inc.
Newsletter