False positive determination in Stimfit paper

Anand Kulkarni

Oct 5, 2018, 1:28:50 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
Hi Guys,
              I could not find how false positive percentage was determined in the Stimfit Frontiers paper? What was the denominator?

Best,
Anand

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Oct 5, 2018, 4:09:37 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
I’ve just added the code that we used for the manuscript to our GitHub repository.

If you scan for the string “FP” you should be able to reproduce our false positive computation:

https://github.com/neurodroid/stimfit/blob/master/manuscript/events.py
> --
>
> ---

Anand Kulkarni

Oct 5, 2018, 5:20:06 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
Thanks Christoph!

Here is what I gather. Can you confirm it?

Definitions:

positives events =  events identified by the algorithm

true events =  events identified by an expert labeler

In your code here is how the fractions are calculated:

% TP = # of TP / # of positive events

% FP = # of FP / # of positive events

% FN = # of FN / # of true events

Is that accurate?

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Oct 5, 2018, 5:22:32 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
iirc we ran simulations to obtain ground truth data, i.e. the events are determined by the simulation and there is no expert labeller.

Anand Kulkarni

Oct 5, 2018, 5:52:22 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
I see. In which case consider true events as those generated in the simulation.

Therefore, is my description of the calculations accurate?

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Oct 5, 2018, 5:56:06 AM10/5/18
to stimfit
Seems reasonable, though I’d have to re-run the code to be sure.