One problem/question regarding CFS data

Gio Batsikadze

Apr 18, 2016, 3:45:27 AM4/18/16
to stimfit
Hi,

Thank you for creating this library and making it available. You really have saved me and my colleagues weeks of time (will certainly be referenced in paper)

I am working on the EMG data. Long story short : I am recording and analysing single or double-pulse TMS-induced motor evoked potentials, controlled by CED Signal software.

When I only have one sampling state - the analysis with stfio goes perfectly fine, but with multi-state recording there's a problem: I cannot group frames separately according by the state number (screenshot).  I looked through the library and could not find the corresponding variable.

I could be missing something very simple, I'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Gio

screenshot.png

Gio Batsikadze

Apr 18, 2016, 3:47:52 AM4/18/16
to stimfit
P.S. attached the file as well
sample recording.cfs

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Apr 18, 2016, 6:15:41 AM4/18/16
to 'Gio Batsikadze' via stimfit, Alois Schloegl
@Alois Is this variable supported by libbiosig? If so we could expose
it to the Python interface.
sample recording.cfs
screenshot.png

Gio Batsikadze

Mar 1, 2017, 7:28:48 AM3/1/17
to stimfit, alois.s...@ist.ac.at
any news about this issue?

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Mar 4, 2017, 7:29:21 AM3/4/17
to sti...@googlegroups.com
Which platform are you using?
> --
>
> ---

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Mar 6, 2017, 2:03:54 AM3/6/17
to Alois Schloegl, Gio Batsikadze, stimfit
Hi Alois,

Thanks for your work on this!

However, I’d strongly advise against adding *any* new menu entries that are only applicable to a single file type - in this case only to a single user! (no offense Gio) The menu is already far too cluttered. If anything, we should reduce the number of entries.

Christoph

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 01:37, Alois Schloegl <schl...@ist.ac.at> wrote:
>

> Dear Gio,
>
> here is an experimental version for testing:
>
> https://pub.ist.ac.at/~schloegl/tmp/stimfit-w64-20170303.exe.zip
>
> It contains new menue entries
> Menue->Edit->Select .. traces of type
> Menue->Edit->Unselect .. traces of type
>
> When you then type in the segment type number (typically starting from 1
> upwards), the corresponding segments are (un-)selected. Ideally, this
> should become a pull down menu containing valid selection entries.
>

> Alois
>

> On 2017-03-04 09:46, Alois Schloegl wrote:
>> Dear Gio,
>>

>> thanks for the reminder. Yes, libbiosig is supporting these events, and
>> they are stored in the event table. I've pushed just just now a patch to
>> stimfit, that supports reading these labels into the SectionDescription
>> field
>>
>> In order to make use of this information, I guess we'll also need some
>> menu/gui entry, that allows the selection of certain traces based on
>> Section/Description field.
>>

>> @Christoph: Could you look at this as well ?
>>

>> Best,
>> Alois

Gio Batsikadze

Mar 6, 2017, 9:05:38 AM3/6/17
to stimfit, schl...@ist.ac.at, gbats...@googlemail.com
Hi all,

Thank you very much for the responses.
I have checked the experimental version and it has perfectly selected the specific entries, so I can confirm that it works just fine.
I'm using STFIO on python 2.7.11 (64bit)
Will this also be added to the python module?

Regards,

Gio

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Mar 6, 2017, 9:12:28 AM3/6/17
to sti...@googlegroups.com, schl...@ist.ac.at, gbats...@googlemail.com
Hi Gio,

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 15:05, 'Gio Batsikadze' via stimfit <sti...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Thank you very much for the responses.
> I have checked the experimental version and it has perfectly selected the specific entries, so I can confirm that it works just fine.
> I'm using STFIO on python 2.7.11 (64bit)
> Will this also be added to the python module?

Yes. The idea is in fact to make features and metadata that are specific to certain file types and users *only* available through the Python shell instead of adding them to the GUI.

Are you using stfio on Windows?

If you’re using the latest development code, your entries are already accessible via stf.get_recording_comment() or stfio.Recording.comment

Best wishes
Christoph

Gio Batsikadze

Mar 6, 2017, 9:15:43 AM3/6/17
to stimfit
Yes, windows. sorry forgot to write that.

I will update my stfio version and will give a feedback as soon as possible.

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Mar 6, 2017, 9:17:13 AM3/6/17
to sti...@googlegroups.com

> On 6 Mar 2017, at 15:15, 'Gio Batsikadze' via stimfit <sti...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, windows. sorry forgot to write that.
>
> I will update my stfio version and will give a feedback as soon as possible.

I’m afraid you’ll have to wait until I’ve found a Windows box to build the latest version of stfio in this case, unless you’re building from source.

Should take me about a week.

> On Monday, April 18, 2016 at 9:45:27 AM UTC+2, Gio Batsikadze wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for creating this library and making it available. You really have saved me and my colleagues weeks of time (will certainly be referenced in paper)
>
> I am working on the EMG data. Long story short : I am recording and analysing single or double-pulse TMS-induced motor evoked potentials, controlled by CED Signal software.
>
> When I only have one sampling state - the analysis with stfio goes perfectly fine, but with multi-state recording there's a problem: I cannot group frames separately according by the state number (screenshot). I looked through the library and could not find the corresponding variable.
>
> I could be missing something very simple, I'd really appreciate your help.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Gio

Christoph Schmidt-Hieber

Mar 7, 2017, 2:38:02 AM3/7/17
to Alois Schloegl, sti...@googlegroups.com, gbats...@googlemail.com
Hi Alois,

Thanks for your input!

If you think that these entries are used across more file types and users, I’m fine with adding a menu entry. You know the common file types far better than I do.

I would still recommend the following:

1) Keep common menu entries that are standard across all GUI software (Edit->Select, Edit->Select all, etc.)
2) Make the new menu entries work across all file types. We could e.g. use an entry like “Filter selection” or similar, and this could include the current menu entry “filter every n-th trace” as well as filtering for the entries that Gio uses.

Gio’s entries should all be present in the comment, but it’s a string, so he’d have to write a parser to get to the information.

On the long run, it would probably make more sense for the comment to be a dictionary so that the values can be accessed more easily.

Free text could still be stored under a key “comment_text” or similar.

Let me know what you think.

Best wishes,
Christoph