Star Catalog

Patchanok Yimprem

Jul 5, 2022, 11:44:33 PM7/5/22
to Stellarium
Can I use my own catalog in the Stellarium to simulate the stars?

Georg Zotti

Jul 6, 2022, 4:37:43 AM7/6/22
to Stellarium
If you bring it into the right format, sure!

info

Jul 6, 2022, 5:01:49 AM7/6/22
to Stellarium
.....and how does one bring it into the correct format?
(...and I am aware of what the format is from the documentation).
It appears to me that there is no existing utility to build the star catalogs from data files.
Does documentation for 'how-to' actually generate star catalogs exist?
Regards.
Frank C.

JAY RESPLER

Jul 6, 2022, 12:36:01 PM7/6/22
to Stellarium
This would be very helpful as we could fill in stars that are missing from the main catalogs. The only info really needed is RA, DEC and magnitude.

Norm Bastien

Jul 6, 2022, 1:04:45 PM7/6/22
to Stellarium
I also would like to be able to enter star locations with RA, DEC and Magnitude. Please make this an option.

Georg Zotti

Jul 6, 2022, 2:12:18 PM7/6/22
to Stellarium
WANTED!

A third developer who processes the Gaia DR3 catalog for Stellarium. (Or DR1 if only that provides the Tycho data)

Susanne M Hoffmann

Jul 6, 2022, 4:32:22 PM7/6/22
to Stellarium
not urgent: Gaia (almost) only has the stars that are NOT visible to the naked eye, so it does not at all make sense as long as Stellarium's main application is naked eye astronomy
Stars brighter than 4 mag are too bright for Gaia and there are only few 4 mag stars in at all because Gaia is designed for stars fainter than 6 mag.

For future applications that will be of value with regard to flights through the galaxy where you need the exact distance measurements ... but that's all far future for Stellarium

Georg Zotti

Jul 6, 2022, 5:06:28 PM7/6/22
to Stellarium
Stellarium includes stars down to mag 18 (?), but with many omissions in the fainter range, and around bright stars. Naked-eye applications are not affected, but telescope users are reporting "missing stars" every few weeks. Yes, the catalogs have omissions. Instead of manually adding stars here and there, in the long run a new catalog could be created, based on the currently best available sources, and with true 3D proper motion data. Of course, the brightest stars will not come from Gaia (therefore my remark on Tycho). There is the DSS photo layer which helps verifying telescopic views, which is why I also see no urgency. Still, whoever needs it, feel invited to contribute!

There is however the DSS photo layer which helps verifying telescopic views, which is why I also see no urgency. Still, whoever needs it, feel invited to contribute!

Greg Miller

Jul 6, 2022, 7:51:26 PM7/6/22
to stell...@googlegroups.com
What kind of computer do you have that would allow you to make use of GAIA DR3?  On consumer grade equipment it would probably take nearly an hour just to read them all from the HD to compute their current position.My philosophy is that if it took a space telescope to find it, it's probably not going to be that important to amatuers.  For those that really need to explore the GAIA dataset, there are specialized viewers (e.g. https://gea.esac.esa.int/archive/visualization/ ).

info

Jul 7, 2022, 12:38:56 AM7/7/22
to Stellarium
So for all practical purposes then it is NOT possible for a "regular user" to get ones own catalogue into Stellarium.
Not unless that is they can develop software at a fairly advanced level - at least advanced enough that they could make a contribution.
Yours etc.
Frank C.