Freeze ecliptic horizontally for constellation changes

Christoph Kovacs

Nov 14, 2021, 8:05:45 AM11/14/21
to Stellarium
I am trying to observe changes in the Orion constellation over a period of several thousand years. I could animate the changes, but the wobble of the ecliptic makes the star movements difficult to spot. Is there a way to freeze the ecliptic horizontally when focusing a particular constellation? Thx!

Georg Zotti

Nov 14, 2021, 10:15:01 AM11/14/21
to Stellarium

There is currently no option to use ecliptic frame. But you can use a scripting function

core.clear("galactic");

This does:
* use galactic coordinate frame (not available by other means)
* switch off zodiacal light
* switch off constellations
* some more defaults.

Create a mini script with your favourite settings to prepare your demos.

Christoph Kovacs

Jan 29, 2022, 6:33:33 AM1/29/22
to Stellarium
Hi Georg, may I ask something related. I've noticed that the Galactic Coordinate System, as implemented by Stellarium, ranges from -180° to +180° in longitude. This seems weird and contrary to its original definition (Galactic Coordinate System II, IAU 1958). Is there a switch somewhere to use the intended 0° - 360° definition? I've stumbled across this during my calculations which require fixing the coordinates first. Thank you!

Alexander Wolf

Jan 29, 2022, 9:18:35 AM1/29/22
to Stellarium
Hi!