Ssatellites plugin

Martin Lewicki

May 24, 2021, 8:13:55 PM5/24/21
to Stellarium

I am to run a session tomorrow in our planetarium for the Geodesy student. I have been requested to display the "gps" groups.

The satellites groups are:
BEIDOU
COSMOS
GALILEO
GLONASS
GPS

I still have trouble getting this to work . Yesterday I got all satellites up with label orbits, good,

Now today, for practice, I restore defaults and start over and labels and orbit fail to switch on even when all checked on. For some reason i have a problem following the logic of the satellites plugin and have so for some time. There is something wrong with the way I go about with the setup and group selection.

I follow this procedure: (provide by member last year, which worked then).

1 Select group [all displayed]
2 Select all satellites
3 Uncheck "displayed" option
4 Select group "BEIDOU" (first to be selected)
5 Select all satellites
6 Check option 'displayed
7 Repeat [4] for the other groups required.

Martin

JAY RESPLER

May 25, 2021, 1:35:42 AM5/25/21
to Stellarium
They have to be turned on in 2 places.

Also look under Satellites Config; Settings.
Check on
Labels, orbit lines, Show as markers.
Maybe turn off: Hide invisible sats

JAY RESPLER

May 25, 2021, 1:45:26 AM5/25/21
to Stellarium
Also note that only a few Cosmos may be GPS. Most are not.
You'll have to show them all or just pick out which you want.
You may want to place a list of desired objects into a GPS group.

Instead of separate groups, under ALL, you can type in BEIDOU.  All those appear. Move cursor down into the list. Select all.
They will all turn yellow. Click DISPLAYED on.
Do same for other names.

Jay

Martin Lewicki

May 25, 2021, 4:49:00 AM5/25/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jay that works.

By simply selecting the group in the drop down list and check "Displayed" box will turn that group on, and so on for each group. . However once they are on and displayed they cannot be turned off unless one repeats the action, that is, go to the drop-down list again, select that group again  and then uncheck "Displayed". This is rather clumsy when running a lecture. I would like to see this performed in  "Groups;" panel where the selected satellite groups are already checked. Simply checking/unchecking could instantly turn on/off whatever combination of groups one requires displayed.

Martin

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide
South Australia 5001
Ph: +618 830*2 3027*
email :martin....@unisa.edu.au
web: www.unisa.edu.au/planetarium/

Alexander Wolf

May 25, 2021, 5:03:09 AM5/25/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

вт, 25 мая 2021 г. в 15:49, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
By simply selecting the group in the drop down list and check "Displayed" box will turn that group on, and so on for each group. . However once they are on and displayed they cannot be turned off unless one repeats the action, that is, go to the drop-down list again, select that group again  and then uncheck "Displayed". This is rather clumsy when running a lecture. I would like to see this performed in  "Groups;" panel where the selected satellite groups are already checked. Simply checking/unchecking could instantly turn on/off whatever combination of groups one requires displayed.

Why not you use shortcuts for toggle visibility of groups?

--
With best regards, Alexander

Martin Lewicki

May 25, 2021, 7:48:09 AM5/25/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Alexander I must  ask where/how are these short cuts implemented?

Martin

Alexander Wolf

May 25, 2021, 8:38:25 AM5/25/21
to Stellarium

вт, 25 мая 2021 г. в 18:48, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Alexander I must  ask where/how are these short cuts implemented?

Just press F7 and see "Satellites" section

Martin Lewicki

May 25, 2021, 10:00:29 PM5/25/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of supplying or directing me to the Japan Quasi-Zenith satellite elements and  Indian Nav IC asap?. A request from the Geodesy group I am about to run a session with today. Meanwhile, I will dig around

Martin

Alexander Wolf

May 25, 2021, 11:24:12 PM5/25/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com

ср, 26 мая 2021 г. в 09:00, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Any chance of supplying or directing me to the Japan Quasi-Zenith satellite elements and  Indian Nav IC asap?. A request from the Geodesy group I am about to run a session with today. Meanwhile, I will dig around

JAY RESPLER

May 25, 2021, 11:53:48 PM5/25/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com, Martin Lewicki
They are in Stellarium.
Look for QZS and IRNSS
-
Jay Respler
Monroe Township, New Jersey

Martin Lewicki

May 31, 2021, 1:09:08 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alexander

I have updated Stellarium 0.21.0 to the MAC in our planetarium and wish to project it on the dome. But I cannot find the config.ini anywhere on the MAC to make advance changes. There is default_cfg.ini but editing this does not affect any changes.
Also, how do we eliminate the infuriating tendency to over-shoot the 180 degree view when zooming in dome projection mode. Previous versions conveniently hard-stopped at 180 deg.

Thanks
Martin

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide
South Australia 5001
Ph: +618 830*2 3027*
email :martin....@unisa.edu.au
web: www.unisa.edu.au/planetarium/

Martin Lewicki

May 31, 2021, 1:56:45 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Ok got it, the gravity labels are in Configuration- Tools. But still looking at how to hard stop at 180 deg horizon view.

Martin

alex

May 31, 2021, 1:57:14 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin,

You are looking in the wrong folder: default_config.ini is suppposed to be used by Stellarium only (or for advanced use) and lives in an application folder in the vicinity of the executable.

Normally, there is a config.ini typically located in ~/.stellarium. and it is created (and upated) when starting Stellarium.

To get a 180 view, use key combination ctrl-alt-1 .

rgds,

-alex-

Alexander Wolf

May 31, 2021, 2:12:39 AM5/31/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

пн, 31 мая 2021 г. в 12:09, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
I have updated Stellarium 0.21.0 to the MAC in our planetarium and wish to project it on the dome. But I cannot find the config.ini anywhere on the MAC to make advance changes.

It's in the standard path for any mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Stellarium

There is default_cfg.ini but editing this does not affect any changes.

Did you readed the Stellarium User Guide?

Also, how do we eliminate the infuriating tendency to over-shoot the 180 degree view when zooming in dome projection mode. Previous versions conveniently hard-stopped at 180 deg.

spheric_mirror/distorter_max_fov is defined as 180 degrees in config.ini, so, the FOV is 180 degrees when spheric mirror distortion is enabled

Martin Lewicki

May 31, 2021, 2:17:47 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to be a pest here but is there any reason why after installing 0.21.0 on MAC  and (genral configurating to suit) the constellation art will not appears  (R and  icon button)

The QSZ salettiles are not there either  (after update) while they do appear on the PC.

Just want all ships to shape by Wednesday for the second Astro-Geodesy group at the planetarium.

Martin

alex

May 31, 2021, 2:19:21 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
I don't think there is a hard stop possible.

But if you tend to manipulate the scale of the view, consider adding a keyboard shortcut to restore the 180 view easily: via F7, search for "180" and assign e.g. shift-F12. this way, when you want to zoom out, press shft-F12 rather than fiddling with page up/down.

alex

May 31, 2021, 2:28:34 AM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
The constellation art is selected via F4 > Starlore; check also that the brightness is sufficient (bottom right in that same dialog).

About QZS: check in the Satellite dialog (alt-z) , in the tab "Sources", that you find the line http://www.celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/sbas.txt and that it is checked. If not, you need to add that line with the "add new source" button (bottom right, first button).

Then, in the Settings tab, click "Update now".
Then, go to the Satellites tab and search for them. (I have 4 , TLE epoch May 30. When you double-click on one of these, Stellarium will jump to the location.

rgds,

-alex-

Martin Lewicki

May 31, 2021, 9:52:43 PM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Thank you again Alex (and others) for putting up with me and answering these obscure points.

As the students will be particularly focusing on the QZS satellites this group however is missing in the MAC satellite group, even after I downloaded the update. This is odd as the PC version has them.  Otherwise I think I have finally got on top of the whole satellite module in Stellarium (phew).

I think a hard 180 stop in dome mode like in previous versions (eg 0.20.x) would be worth reinstating as sometimes without thinking one does zoom out with the mouse creating an "oops" moment!

BTW Does anyone know a software (download/online) that will animate the QZS over the 3D earth globe/map. I am using a very old one called SatSpy4 but that does this but the graphics do not show up that well on a standard flat projector screen.

(I do actually consult the manual, usually :)

 Martin

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide
South Australia 5001
Ph: +618 830*2 3027*
email :martin....@unisa.edu.au
web: www.unisa.edu.au/planetarium/

Alexander Wolf

May 31, 2021, 10:19:51 PM5/31/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

вт, 1 июн. 2021 г. в 08:52, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
As the students will be particularly focusing on the QZS satellites this group however is missing in the MAC satellite group, even after I downloaded the update. This is odd as the PC version has them.  Otherwise I think I have finally got on top of the whole satellite module in Stellarium (phew).

You can try reset settings and data for Satellites plugin - probably you have added QZS satellites already, but without new groups (I hope you are testing the weekly snapshot).

I think a hard 180 stop in dome mode like in previous versions (eg 0.20.x) would be worth reinstating as sometimes without thinking one does zoom out with the mouse creating an "oops" moment!

navigation/init_fov = 180 and navigation/min_fov = 180 in config.ini?

Stellarium never had a hard 180 stop in "dome mode" and I don't understand what you meant here (the code for projections in series 0.21.x is the same as in series 0.20.x).

Martin Lewicki

May 31, 2021, 11:59:30 PM5/31/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Apologies Alex, I posted again about the QZS before I read your reply about it. Thank you again. All this helps develop the course for the geodesy classes in our planetarium.

Martin

JAY RESPLER

Jun 1, 2021, 4:51:12 AM6/1/21
to Stellarium
Be sure QZS are turned on and visible at the time you have set.

alex

Jun 1, 2021, 5:51:22 AM6/1/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin,

The QZS are availaible. I think you are doing something wrong. Don't look for a group in Stellarium, just filter the names in the Satellites filter in the plugin dialog.

What is the "MAC satellite group"? You will not find it in Stellarium AFAIK.

But you are talking about the "PC version"; of what software are we actually talking here? Do you mean the web version stellarium-web.org/ ?

The 180 hard stop is an interesting option. I can check if that is missing and/or can be added.

You can also use https://celestrak.com/, they can visualise one or more satellites. Just be patient, the page is sometimes slow.
tracksat.space/ can also be used if necessary (it does not allow to show multiple sats in the same map.

-alex-

alex

Jun 1, 2021, 5:55:06 AM6/1/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com

Martin Lewicki

Jun 2, 2021, 11:07:39 PM6/2/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Alex

Yes it is rather difficult to assess where I am having problems without looking over my shoulder at what I am doing ;). The  Cestrak visualization looks interesting. I will play around with it Using Stellarium 0.21.0 in dome mode

Meanwhile yesterday's session with the students went well. Finally was able to put up the four groups + QZSS + Molniya on the dome and colour coded it too. The students (fourth year!) commented they finally understood how the constellation groups move around in the sky over a location. Especially intrigued watching from Tokyo a QZSS rapidly rising over the horizon (from the southern hemisphere and ascending to zenith where it slows down at apogee hovering for quite some time before diving down again.

One feature that could be added (unless I am missing something) is to easily toggle selected groups on and off. The supervisor requested I turn off all except GPS so that the students can appreciate how sometimes a single constellation would be blocked from view (buildings) and lose local coverage. To toggle this I had to go to the Satellite listings again, select then mark each group and uncheck "display".. This is a bit tedious and clumsy and took time to execute during the class, and I could not turn off the Galileo groups for some reason.

I suggest a panel showing  active groups with a checkbox that can be simply checked on and off without having to do the selections over again.

Anyway Alex, thankyou for all the assistance so far. It is much appreciated. These planetarium tutorials at our university are proving useful and will be continued.

Martin

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide
South Australia 5001
Ph: +618 830*2 3027*
email :martin....@unisa.edu.au
web: www.unisa.edu.au/planetarium/

alex

Jun 3, 2021, 5:29:44 AM6/3/21
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin,

Happy to hear it went well.

Indeed, the design is not ideal, and it is very likely that you are not the only one thinking like that. Nowadays one would expect to find the details of a satellite in a popup dialog. One would expect the right-hand side panel to represent viewing actions, more specifically to toggle the /display/ of groups, but it represents properties of a selected satellite, and when no sat is selected, that panel is empty - a pure waste of screen pixels, and an example of a bad UI (user interface) design. This requires a rewriting of that UI and the underlying code. A related pain is that to toggle groups, one has to go through the dropdown list, then select individual satellites, etc.

BUT it is all contributed by volunteers, all we have to do is to continue building on their shoulders. Just be patient and hope someone will find enough courage to rewrite that part of the UI :-)

rgds

-alex-

Alexander Wolf

Jun 3, 2021, 10:26:36 AM6/3/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

чт, 3 июн. 2021 г. в 10:07, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
One feature that could be added (unless I am missing something) is to easily toggle selected groups on and off. The supervisor requested I turn off all except GPS so that the students can appreciate how sometimes a single constellation would be blocked from view (buildings) and lose local coverage. To toggle this I had to go to the Satellite listings again, select then mark each group and uncheck "display".. This is a bit tedious and clumsy and took time to execute during the class, and I could not turn off the Galileo groups for some reason.

I suggest a panel showing  active groups with a checkbox that can be simply checked on and off without having to do the selections over again.

You may assign shortcuts to show/hide groups of satellites via F7 editor and use those shortcuts within demonstration.

Martin Lewicki

Sep 3, 2021, 7:36:30 AM9/3/21
to Stellarium
Hi all

Installed latest version 0.21.1 .  I had to reconfigure the satellites module for the Geodesy student but now and QZSS and IRNSS satellite groups are missing in the listings. How/where can I download them?

Martin

Martin Lewicki

Sep 5, 2021, 9:31:17 PM9/5/21
to Stellarium
Think I sorted it. I copied a NORAD line in Sources of another satellite group and replaced the end tag as "qzss.txt"

eg...
replaced "education.txt"  with"qzss.txt"

Then they appeared on the list!

I seem to recall in earlier versions we were able to do a web search/download for specific satellite groups.

Martin

Martin Lewicki

May 25, 2022, 2:42:02 AM5/25/22
to Stellarium
Hi

Where can I find the satellite configuration file? I would like to transfer the satellite settings to Stellarium on another computer rather than configure it all over again.

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

May 25, 2022, 3:00:36 AM5/25/22
to Stellarium
Hi!

ср, 25 мая 2022 г. в 13:42, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Hi

Where can I find the satellite configuration file? I would like to transfer the satellite settings to Stellarium on another computer rather than configure it all over again.

See section [Satellites] in the main configuration file (config.ini)

JAY RESPLER

May 25, 2022, 9:59:07 AM5/25/22
to Stellarium
The details for each satellite is in SATELLITES.JSON

Martin Lewicki

May 25, 2022, 9:34:18 PM5/25/22
to Stellarium
I am at the planetarium with MAC running our full-dome system and Stellarium 0.22.0 plays chaos with the satellites plugin. I try to select each of the GPS, Beidou etc for my students this afternoon but I cannot turn off Starlink which crowds out and chokes the program. Furthermore, there are weird lines jumping across the sky horizon to satellites and I cannot change their colors. And no matter how many times I try to update the satellite online (yes progress bar is alive) there is none of the quazi satellites such as the QZSS  and IRNS crucial for my lecture How do i get them.  Seems I will have to forget the MAC dome projection and run Windows version on flat screen. .By contrast, all is good on my windows machine at home!!!!

Alexander V. Wolf

May 25, 2022, 11:11:20 PM5/25/22
to Stellarium
Hi!

чт, 26 мая 2022 г. в 08:34, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
I am at the planetarium with MAC running our full-dome system and Stellarium 0.22.0 plays chaos with the satellites plugin.

The latest stable version is 0.22.1. I'll publish a fresh beta version tonight with serious changes in the Satellites plugin.

I try to select each of the GPS, Beidou etc for my students this afternoon but I cannot turn off Starlink which crowds out and chokes the program.

As before the steps for changing visibility the list of filtered satellites are simple:
1. Open Satellites GUI (Alt+Z or right click on the Satellites icon onto bottom bar)
2. Select the second tab (Satellites)
3. In the drop-down list in top left side of GUI select some group of satellites (like "starlink")
4. Select the first satellite (click on first satellite)
5. Move scroll to the end of list
6. Press and hold shift, and click on last satellite
7. Change the properties for the list of satellites (color, visibility, orbits, etc.)

If you want to quickly toggle visibility of filtered satellites then you can use shortcuts (press F7 and assign shortcuts for favorite groups).

Furthermore, there are weird lines jumping across the sky horizon to satellites and I cannot change their colors.

These are orbit lines. In version 0.22.0 (and 0.22.1) this feature has a bug, which is fixed in master now.

And no matter how many times I try to update the satellite online (yes progress bar is alive) there is none of the quazi satellites such as the QZSS  and IRNS crucial for my lecture How do i get them.

Did you add QZSS and IRNS sources and autoadding satellites into satellites catalog in the third tab (Sources)?

Seems I will have to forget the MAC dome projection and run Windows version on flat screen. .By contrast, all is good on my windows machine at home!!!!

The situation is not surprising if settings and marked sources of TLE's are different in these computers.

Martin Lewicki

May 26, 2022, 12:32:57 AM5/26/22
to Stellarium
Thanks. I will try tonight. Meanwhile here is the screenshot of the "chaos"
Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 11.30.49 am-fx.png

Alexander V. Wolf

May 26, 2022, 4:23:30 PM5/26/22
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hello Martin and Jay!

Please check the fresh version (development snapshot) of Stellarium:
https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/tag/weekly-snapshot

Martin Lewicki

May 27, 2022, 3:18:30 AM5/27/22
to Stellarium
Alex, thank you for this. I hope the updated appleimage solves the issue when I get back to install it in the planetarium. I have a second class of geodetic students next week.

Another issue is worth pointing out.
While I was animating the satellites the selected colors I made for each group faded to gray when the Sun was up - atmosphere on or off.  Is it possible to lock the colors even in the daytime "otherwise" we struggle to identify the groups.

Martin

Martin Lewicki

May 27, 2022, 3:29:27 AM5/27/22
to Stellarium
Also

How do we enter custom elset. The 60th anniversary of the famous Telstar 1 communications satellite launch is in July. It (and Telstar 2) is still in orbit! Would like to feature them in an upcoming planetarium show.

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

May 27, 2022, 3:43:10 AM5/27/22
to Stellarium
Hi!

пт, 27 мая 2022 г. в 14:18, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Another issue is worth pointing out.
While I was animating the satellites the selected colors I made for each group faded to gray when the Sun was up - atmosphere on or off.  Is it possible to lock the colors even in the daytime "otherwise" we struggle to identify the groups.

Hmm... I'll add the flag to toggle or not the color of satellites in daylight.

JRespler@superlink.net JAY RESPLER

May 27, 2022, 3:57:57 AM5/27/22
to stell...@googlegroups.com, JAY RESPLER
use the + in bottom left corner of Config tab.
the id is 1962-029A     TELSTAR 1     #340
1963-013A     TELSTAR 2 (A-41)            573

They  have to be in your source tle.
I can send it to you directly if you need.

I haven't looked for them yet, but I have seen many  older ones.

Jay Respler
Monroe Township, New Jersey

Martin Lewicki

Jun 16, 2022, 11:08:51 PM6/16/22
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Clicked + and it downloads refresh elsets

Search [all newly added] .Nothing...

image.png

A scroll for "Telstar"  yields only the geosynchronous of the same name (1 day orbit)
image.png

Is it possible to enter the elset numbers manually?

Martin

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Stellarium" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/stellarium/1501585020.24320860.1653638274230.JavaMail.zimbra%40windstream.net.

JAY RESPLER

Jun 22, 2022, 4:06:15 PM6/22/22
to Stellarium
REFRESH does not Add unless you have that option checked in the settings.
Telstar will only add if it is in the source.
For items not in the source, I make a new file with the TLE  on my pc.
Then click + seen in your image above.
Choose the new file. That TLE is added. If you can't find TLE for Telstar, let me know.
You can probably copy it from Heavens Above and some other sites.

Jay

Martin Lewicki

Jun 22, 2022, 8:12:41 PM6/22/22
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jay

I made a new file tle44.txt with tle's from Heavens Above (attached). Still does not register them.I updated before and after to be sure.
I do note a file called satellites.json that appears to have tle's in some kind of script-like structure. Looks complex. I suspect there needs to be a copy of the Telstar tle's in there too.

Martin

tle44.txt

JAY RESPLER

Jun 22, 2022, 9:01:33 PM6/22/22
to Stellarium
The TLE you show is double spaced.  It won't register that way. Make sure the original source file is single space.
You can also search in Stellarium by catalog # and by international #,  1962-029.

Yes, all the files are in SATELLITES.JSON.  You Can edit it manually. UserGuide should explain how.

I often make duplicate backup copies of SATELLITES.JSON in case it gets corrupted.  Do so before any manual changes.