Location from Landscape?

Paul Gilmartin

May 24, 2024, 5:28:55 PMMay 24
to Stellarium
Apparently it's possible for a landscape to set my location.
However this not described in guide 4.2 Setting Your Location,
not even by a reference to 7.1 Stellarium Landscapes.

Nor does the Location window show that the location is being
set from a landscape. Better yet would be an option:
o Get location from Landscape
o Get location from GPS
o Get location from Network
o Use current location as default
o Auto-select landscapes

"location from Network" is flaky. If I use a local
wi-fi router it's accurate within a couple hundred
meters. If I use "Personal Hootspot" from my phone
it's a thousand km away, presumably the registration.
I'd welcome:
o Get location from System

but I know that would be significant Javascript code,
probably needing additional class libraries, and
has privacy entanglements.

--
Thanks,
gil

Georg Zotti

May 24, 2024, 5:48:01 PMMay 24
to Stellarium
Location may be set from landscape when loading a landscape in the landscape panel and the option checkbox "Position from landscape" has been activated, and the landscape includes a location. This is described in section 4.4.5, The Landscape Tab, in the User Guide.

It is not in the location panel where you load landscapes, therefore the option checkbox "Position from landscape" has been placed into the Landscape loading user interface.

Location from network uses some API to gain an approximate location that may ultimately be provided by your ISP. It can be off, but the continent should usually be correct. After a few minutes of use, you will likely find the location panel to set a more accurate location.
If you press "Get location from GPS or system service" you get location from an attached or built-in GPS receiver, or from a system service.

Paul Gilmartin

May 24, 2024, 7:58:50 PMMay 24
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/24/24 15:48, Georg Zotti wrote:
> Location may be set from landscape when loading a landscape in the landscape panel and the option checkbox "Position from landscape" has been activated, and the landscape includes a location. This is described in section 4.4.5, The Landscape Tab, in the User Guide.
> .
Do not assume that every user has read a thick Guide from
end to end. The Location section should contain a cross
reference to 4.4.5, The Landscape and the Location window
should make it clear that location has been set from a
landscape.

> Location from network uses some API to gain an approximate location that may ultimately be provided by your ISP. It can be off, ...
> .
Depending on how faraway my ISP is registered.

> If you press "Get location from GPS or system service" you get location from an attached or built-in GPS receiver, or from a system service.

I nave neither built-in nor attached GPS receiver On my system:
2024-05-24T14:42:14
Operating System: macOS 14.5
Compiled using AppleClang 15.0.0.15000309
Qt runtime version: 6.5.3
Qt compilation version: 6.5.3
Build ABI: x86_64-little_endian-lp64
Addressing mode: 64-bit
Processor architecture: x86_64
Processor name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8259U CPU @ 2.30GHz
Processor maximum speed: 2300 MHz
Processor logical cores: 8
Total physical memory: 8192 MB
Model identifier: MacBookPro15,2
/Applications/Stellarium.app/Contents/MacOS/stellarium
[ This is Stellarium 24.1 (v24.1.0) - https://stellarium.org/ ]
[ Copyright (C) 2000-2024 Stellarium Developers ]

if I press "Get location from GPS"(there is no "or system
service"), the control turns red for a couple seconds but
nothing else happens. There is a system service that shows
my location correctly on web pages.

--
Thanks,
gil

Georg Zotti

May 25, 2024, 3:35:55 AMMay 25
to Stellarium
Features are described where they are available and buttons are placed where they make most sense. No need to read the Guide from end to end, although we of course recommend that, when the tooltips on screen don't suffice, the intro chapters are read.   I can add another crossreference.

You did not say Mac before. The service connection has been implemented by a contributor on Windows only, because Macs are different and no Mac user has tried running those 30 lines of code.