V24.1 satellites frame rate greatly slowed

Martin Lewicki

May 24, 2024, 10:32:14 AMMay 24
to Stellarium
I have a set of  GPS satellites that I use to demonstrate on the dome to geodysey students.

In previous versions when time rate was increased they smoothly drifted across the sky at 20 fps or more. Now with V24.1 they stagger along at 4 fps.

Computer:
27 inch iMac 4K 16GB RAM 1TB Fusion drive

Satellite that are checked  as 'Displayed" and "Orbits"
Beidou
Cosmos
Galileo
Glonass
GPS
QZS
RNSS

All others in the (long) list are unchecked

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

May 27, 2024, 4:20:36 AMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Martin!

пт, 24 мая 2024 г. в 21:32, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Please share config.ini and log.txt from your Stellarium.

P.S. Probably previously, you're using something from series 0.20.x?
--
With best regards, Alexander

Martin Lewicki

May 27, 2024, 10:26:28 AMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com

Alex

I can access the log file view via F1 but there is no provision to locate the file itself so that I can forward it to you.

Martin

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Lecturer & Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide

Paul Gilmartin

May 27, 2024, 12:19:03 PMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/27/24 08:25, Martin Lewicki wrote:

> I can access the log file view via F1 but there is no provision to locate the file itself so that I can forward it to you.
> .
Which OS? Guide.pdf 5.2 Directory Structure should point you close.
<https://stellarium.org/files/guide.pdf>

--
gil

Paul Gilmartin

May 27, 2024, 1:41:58 PMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/27/24 08:25, Martin Lewicki wrote:

> .
> I can access the log file view via F1 but there is no provision to locate the file itself so that I can forward it to you.
> .
(I hadn't discovered the Help window before.)

In MacOS, the path to the log file appears immediately
under the Log tab in the Help window, and in the
line beginning "Writing log file to:" which can be
selected and copied to the system clipboard. (Good!)

In MacOS, F1 works as documented to open then the
Help window. "?" does not work.

I wish the contrast in the Help window (and others)
were higher.

MacOS trackpad scroll gestures work as expected in
the Help window. I wish they worked alike in
Figure 3.1: Stellarium main view.

--
Thanks,
gil

Paul Gilmartin

May 27, 2024, 2:09:21 PMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/27/24 08:25, Martin Lewicki wrote:

> I can access the log file view via F1 but there is no provision to locate the file itself so that I can forward it to you.
> .
In MacOS, Help window, Log tab, Click; Shift-click or
Command-A selects any part or all of the log which can
then be Copied to the system clipboard. Nice!

--
Thanks,
gil

Martin Lewicki

May 27, 2024, 10:57:40 PMMay 27
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Paul, thank you for those tips.

Will try them when I am back at the dome tomorrow.

Martin Lewicki
Adelaide Planetarium | Lecturer & Astronomy Educator
UniSA STEM | University of South Australia
Mawson Lakes
GPO Box 2471, Adelaide

Martin Lewicki

May 29, 2024, 3:02:16 AMMay 29
to Stellarium
Here is the log file attached.
Stell_log v24.1_lewicki.txt

Alexander V. Wolf

May 29, 2024, 3:22:08 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com

ср, 29 мая 2024 г. в 14:02, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Here is the log file attached.

Hmm... yes, I see performance regress in comparison in versions 1.2 and 0.22.2. Could you say which version was used before updating to the latest one?

Martin Lewicki

May 29, 2024, 5:56:35 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com
I thought it was 23.x?, can't remember now. But perhaps it was 22.x?
Hoping for a resolution before my next class on Monday 3 June.

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

May 29, 2024, 8:32:20 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com
This is weird - I can see performance regress in version 24.1 on Windows, but not in the same version on Linux

Georg Zotti

May 29, 2024, 8:52:24 AMMay 29
to Stellarium
Anything related to float parsing? (Hopefully this is not needed every frame for obscure reasons!)

Martin Lewicki

May 29, 2024, 9:04:54 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen, do I assume this is a bug rather than something at my end?

Martin

Georg Zotti

May 29, 2024, 9:27:20 AMMay 29
to Stellarium
May be too early. Alexander noted a possible issue in Windows, where I see >25fps with a few thousand satellites (default selection of files selected/updated) and did not see a performance issue worth mentioning (60fps system framerate with sats switched off. Yes, these critters eat CPU!). You run a mac, which is yet another beast. But  providing version info between working/problematic might help tracking down possible issues. "Last time I used it" for some features may for me have been last week or in 2017.

Alexander V. Wolf

May 29, 2024, 10:20:25 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com

ср, 29 мая 2024 г. в 20:27, Georg Zotti <georg...@univie.ac.at>:
May be too early. Alexander noted a possible issue in Windows, where I see >25fps with a few thousand satellites (default selection of files selected/updated) and did not see a performance issue worth mentioning (60fps system framerate with sats switched off. Yes, these critters eat CPU!). You run a mac, which is yet another beast. But  providing version info between working/problematic might help tracking down possible issues. "Last time I used it" for some features may for me have been last week or in 2017.

Georg, please enable all satellites (over 10k) to display, switch display mode to using markers, disable atmosphere and earth and change FOV to 180 degrees or more.

Martin, please share your config.ini file from Stellarium.

Georg Zotti

May 29, 2024, 10:59:52 AMMay 29
to Stellarium
OK, all sats on&updated. Last update message said over 10000. FOV235°, stereographic, atmosphere off, ground off. The screen is full with icons. ONEWEB satellites in orange stand out, moving in distinct chains/orbits, at least below horizon.  18fps. Sats off: ~60fps.  W10, Core i7-9700F, Geforce 2070. Now I wonder, Martin: Is it 4fps only with satellites, or also without, and the culprit is somewhere else?
And I also wonder: How can I remove the satellites I am not interested in? (those in disabled sources; I will not delete 5000 entries manually.)

Paul Gilmartin

May 29, 2024, 11:19:00 AMMay 29
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/29/24 08:20, Alexander V. Wolf wrote:

> Georg, please enable all satellites (over 10k) to display, switch display mode to using markers, disable atmosphere and earth and change FOV to 180 degrees or more.
> .
Note that in MacOS (which I see in Martin's log.txt),
you can enable Guest User to create a pristine
environment in which to experiment.

Or, rename ~/Library/Application Support/Stellarium
to similar effect.

Is it practical to edit a copy of the config files?

--
gil

Martin Lewicki

May 29, 2024, 9:58:03 PMMay 29
to Stellarium
I thought I had attached the file, but here it is.

Would a clean uninstall and re-install do the trick?

Martin
Stell_log v24.1_lewicki.txt

Martin Lewicki

May 29, 2024, 10:06:52 PMMay 29
to Stellarium
Georg (and all)

It is only when the satellites are displayed. When the  Satellite are turned off the animation display goes back to high fps over 40fps (if I recall correctly) and diurnal motion is smooth even at an accelerated rate.

Alexander V. Wolf

May 30, 2024, 12:09:19 AMMay 30
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hi all!

чт, 30 мая 2024 г. в 08:58, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
I thought I had attached the file, but here it is.

It's a log, not a config file.

Would a clean uninstall and re-install do the trick?

I fear the answer will be no.

Probably the performance regression was added in version 1.0 - at least I can reproduce it on Windows with integrated GPU.

Martin Lewicki

May 30, 2024, 12:52:14 AMMay 30
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Alex

 How about I fresh re-install version 22.x or 23.x, at least for my Monday geodesy session? Will it interfere with the 24.1 currently installed? I did have two different versions on the Mac concurrently before for a fallback in case there were problems with the latest version.

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

May 30, 2024, 1:06:22 AMMay 30
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

чт, 30 мая 2024 г. в 11:52, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
How about I fresh re-install version 22.x or 23.x, at least for my Monday geodesy session?

You can install much many versions as you want to have. :)

Will it interfere with the 24.1 currently installed?

No. For macOS you can download and extract version 0.22.0, rename Stellarium.app into Stellarium 0.22.2.app and move it into Applications directory. Maybe you will need to remove ssystem_minor.ini file from ~/Library/Application Support/Stellarium/data

I did have two different versions on the Mac concurrently before for a fallback in case there were problems with the latest version.

I have many installed versions on all my machines concurrently ;)

Georg Zotti

May 30, 2024, 4:02:56 AMMay 30
to Stellarium
You can also use separate environments by setting STEL_USERDIR or using the --user-dir command line option. See User Guide, ch.5/6.
There was something in Mac graphics about the new skylight model that was not working in 1.0 and was addressed in 1.1 or 1.2. Maybe the --low-graphics mode is now needed on this Mac? But if Alexander can see an issue on Windows also, it may be something unrelated in the Satellites plugin that just does not cause issues with a Geforce.

Paul Gilmartin

May 30, 2024, 9:02:20 AMMay 30
to stell...@googlegroups.com
On 5/30/24 02:02, Georg Zotti wrote:
> You can also use separate environments by setting STEL_USERDIR or using the --user-dir command line option. See User Guide, ch.5/6.
> .
Setting an environment variable is likely to have no effect
if you launch Stellarium from the GUI, however inadvertently.

I suggest renaming or copying the user directory so you
have a backup.

Or even performing such experiments as Guest User.

What's the recommended way to launch Stellarium from the
command line on a Mac?

--
gil

Martin Lewicki

May 30, 2024, 11:47:50 PMMay 30
to Stellarium
Finally back at the planetarium today I checked the  MAC bin and there it was - v23.1 still there! I "put back" and ran it and the satellites run smoothly as before :). That should do until a resolution emerges for the upcoming version. Thank you for your efforts in this most useful software.

Martin

Alexander V. Wolf

Jun 7, 2024, 1:32:32 PMJun 7
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Dear Martin,

пт, 31 мая 2024 г. в 10:47, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Finally back at the planetarium today I checked the  MAC bin and there it was - v23.1 still there! I "put back" and ran it and the satellites run smoothly as before :). That should do until a resolution emerges for the upcoming version. Thank you for your efforts in this most useful software.

I don't understand how it possible, because we didn't changed graphics subsystem in the plugin. Please attach log from your old version of Stellarium.

Martin Lewicki

Jun 13, 2024, 2:05:11 AMJun 13
to Stellarium
Alex,

Here it is, a hand-held a bit wobbly continuous phone video of the MAC screen I took last night. v23.1 followed by  v24.1 shows the difference in animation and frame rates between the versions.

v23.1 logfile attached

Martin
MAC Log Stellarium 32.1.txt

Alexander V. Wolf

Jun 13, 2024, 2:10:30 AMJun 13
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Martin,

чт, 13 июн. 2024 г. в 13:05, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Alex,

Here it is, a hand-held a bit wobbly continuous phone video of the MAC screen I took last night. v23.1 followed by  v24.1 shows the difference in animation and frame rates between the versions.

v23.1 logfile attached

In the log I see that you're using Qt5-based Stellarium - please check this app too: https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/download/weekly-snapshot/Stellarium-24.1-572952b-qt5-x86_64.zip

Martin Lewicki

Jun 13, 2024, 11:23:55 PMJun 13
to Stellarium
Alex

Are you suggesting installing the 24.1 QT5 version on the  MAC? Will I need to bin the QT6 version first?

Alexander V. Wolf

Jun 13, 2024, 11:37:41 PMJun 13
to stell...@googlegroups.com

пт, 14 июн. 2024 г. в 10:23, Martin Lewicki <martin....@gmail.com>:
Alex

Are you suggesting installing the 24.1 QT5 version on the  MAC?

Yes, just for testing purposes

Will I need to bin the QT6 version first?

Yes, please