Problem with Venus Transit

Yu Cheng Lim

Oct 10, 2021, 3:51:44 AM10/10/21
to Stellarium

I am having problems using Stellarium. I was trying to find the parallax of the transit of Venus as viewed from two different locations. I am not sure whether the results given by Stellarium is accurate.

*Refer to the attachment*
[Stel1]
[Stel2]

These are the two snapshot (on Stellarium) of the Third Contact between Venus and the Sun at the same time at different locations on Earth. The top image is viewd from Quito, Ecuador, the bottom image is from Harrisburg. I am supposed to determine the parallax. The angles were calculated using Geogebra. It appearrs that instead of revealing the parallax, Stellarium merely rotates the sun and the Venus.

  1. Is this supposed to be the right view from the respective locations?
  2. How should one calculate the parallax?

P.S. this exercise was proposed here Using a transit of Venus to determine the Astronomical Unit, using another planetarium application though.

Thanks in advance!

P.S.S.

[stel 3]

This was what I tried, where the white boxes refer to the length.
stel3.png
stel2.png
stel1.png

Alexander Wolf

Oct 10, 2021, 10:40:46 AM10/10/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

вс, 10 окт. 2021 г. в 14:51, Yu Cheng Lim <uche...@gmail.com>:
  1. Is this supposed to be the right view from the respective locations?
Please use equatorial mount view to disable effect of "rotation the Sun"
  1. How should one calculate the parallax?
Parallax is the angular shift of Venus on the disk of the Sun at the same time from different locations.

--
With best regards, Alexander

Yu Cheng Lim

Oct 12, 2021, 8:42:31 PM10/12/21
to Stellarium
Hi!

Thank you very much! Using equatorial mount is the right solution for my case.

Best regards,
Yu Cheng