Adding missing images to deep sky objects

Mario Lauriano

May 2, 2024, 12:04:39 PMMay 2
to Stellarium
Dear Members,

I hope this message finds you well. As a newcomer to this group, I am eager to learn more about Stellarium and its functionalities. I am currently using Stellarium version 23.4 on Windows 11.

I have a question regarding the software: is it possible to add missing images to deep sky objects within Stellarium? If so, I would greatly appreciate guidance on how to do so. I have attached a screenshot to better illustrate my query.

Thank you in advance for your assistance and insights.

Best regards,
Mario

stellarium_screen.jpg

Georg Zotti

May 2, 2024, 12:06:30 PMMay 2
to Stellarium
The process of adding nebula images is described in the User Guide, section 8.2: Adding Nebula Images.
Message has been deleted

Georg Zotti

May 3, 2024, 6:53:16 AMMay 3
to Stellarium
I have only ever configured one DSO image, manually. This chapter provides insights from somebody who has developed this workflow and used it successfully.  If the platesolving occasionally fails, please ask the authors of the platesolving program for assistance.
The problematic image appears to include a single star apart from the large galaxy and smaller ones, so it's no surprise this fails if the platesolving depends on a minimum of 3-4 stars (?). maybe use a different crop with more stars.

mario.l...@community.unipa.it schrieb am Freitag, 3. Mai 2024 um 12:45:21 UTC+2:
Dear Georg,

I've diligently followed the instructions outlined in the user guide regarding the process. Initially, I ensured that miniconda3 was installed on my laptop, and subsequently adjusted the path of the Shortcut accordingly. Thankfully, this adjustment enabled the process to execute smoothly.

However, I encountered an issue when attempting to upload the image of NGC3509 captured by SDSS. Despite my efforts, the plate solve consistently fails. To provide clarity, I have attached both the JPG image that I attempted to upload and the stars image generated by the script.

I would greatly appreciate your insights on resolving this matter. Any guidance or suggestions you can offer would be immensely helpful.

Best regards,
Mario

Glenn Newell

May 7, 2024, 1:07:25 AMMay 7
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Looks like there are not enough sharp, bright stars in the image for a successful plate solve. You can see that in the script output stars image there is only one star.

I tried improving the image in pixinsight and photoshop, and platesolves at astrometry.net and in pixinsight (taking the SDSS's pixel size and and resolution from the internet and the coordinates of the target from Stellarium, as pixinsights solver is not blind) but still no joy.

For that (small) target I would say look for a (sharper) image that isn't cropped so tight, so there would be more bright stars in the field of view.

Good luck,
Glenn

On Fri, May 3, 2024 at 8:19 AM Glenn Newell <glenn.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will take a look later today.