Archaeoastronomy in Stellarium

Antwane Lee

Jun 2, 2024, 4:43:23 PMJun 2
to Stellarium
Hello:

I am new to Stellarium and am looking for reference materials for doing 3D simulations of  ancient sites in the software to better understand the astronomical alignments with architectural elements. I am a trained architect. Please see the link below to a YouTube video that shows how Stellarium can be used in this application:

Please review and give me your thoughts on documents I can obtain and ways to do this.

Thank you.

Antwane

Georg Zotti

Jun 2, 2024, 5:20:02 PMJun 2
to Stellarium
Thanks for your interest. Seems you found my talk already...

On stellarium.org you find a few recent papers linked. The JSA paper contains a lot of references to other relevant papers.

The User Guide, chapter 15, contains most relevant information on how to bring your georeferenced OBJ into Stellarium. Usually, if it looks OK in MeshLab, it should work in Stellarium.

If static architecture is not enough, I have also developed a Unity module to use Stellarium's sky as background for a Unity-based simulation. See our github repo.

I am also available for (funded) collaboration... ;-) -- pm me!

Kind regards,
Georg

Antwane Lee

Jun 2, 2024, 5:23:01 PMJun 2
to stell...@googlegroups.com
Georg:

I will take a look at the documentation and let you know if I have any questions.

Thank you for your assistance.

Antwane