Partial (Light) Horizon

PinRav

Apr 26, 2021, 12:32:20 PM4/26/21
to Stellar Developers

Hello,

i have the need to monitorize some assets at high frequency, and for that i would like to have my personal Horizon with no requests limits.

However i know that having a watcher node + full Horizon has some big expensive requirements in terms of cpu, bandwith and memory.

I am wondering if there is the possibility (or will be) to have a milimal partial horizon that keep tracks only of a limited amount of assets/orderbook and accounts.

Is this possible? If not, could be an idea to make a new SEP?

Eric Saunders

Apr 26, 2021, 1:02:45 PM4/26/21
to PinRav, Stellar Developers
Hi there,

It's a good idea, and something we've been thinking about, but right now Horizon is not configurable in this way.

How far back in time do you need to preserve data for historical lookups? If you don't need much history then it should be cheap to run.

It's not an out of the box solution, but another option is to code something yourself using our ingestion library (release). It does the heavy lifting with decoding the XDR etc so that you can easily implement custom logic. Here's a full tutorial that implements some simple example client applications.

Cheers

Eric

PinRav

Apr 28, 2021, 6:32:12 AM4/28/21
to Stellar Developers
Hello, thank you for the reply!

To be honest i don't need history at all, just the current real time state of some orderbooks and accounts. Is there a way to configure the current Horizon to keep no history? and if yes how would be the minimum technical requirements for the node+horizon?

About the ingestion library, it is very interesting but for the moment i still hope to not have to code too much. :)

Cheers

Eric Saunders

Apr 29, 2021, 6:00:16 PM4/29/21
to PinRav, Stellar Developers
horizon --help
      --history-retention-count uint             the minimum number of ledgers to maintain within horizon's history tables.  0 signifies an unlimited number of ledgers will be retained (HISTORY_RETENTION_COUNT)

Note that if you run in captive core mode (now the default), you don't need a separate core installation. See the doc above for full details.

Eric
----------------------------------
Eric Saunders
Director of Engineering, Horizon
Stellar Development Foundation

PinRav

May 3, 2021, 9:58:42 AM5/3/21
to Stellar Developers
Hello Eric, thank you very much for the help!

I find the docs a bit difficult to understand, i found this docker image to start https://github.com/stellar/docker-stellar-core-horizon , i could start from this for my "no history" horizon?

In the docs they say "an addition of 3 GB of memory" ... but an addition to what? In your opinion if i would start a virtual machine with the docker image above installed, how should be the technical requirements of that machine (cpu/ram) ?

Thank you! :)