Stellar Core v16.0.0 + quick-turnaround network upgrade

Justin

Apr 8, 2021, 5:50:22 PM4/8/21
to Stellar Developers

Hey everyone,

To resolve issues that caused several nodes to lose sync with the network earlier this week, we released a new version of Stellar Core, and are scheduling a vote to upgrade the network to Protocol 16 on Saturday 4/10/21 at 1500 UTC.

For that to happen, we need some quick action and cooperation from anyone who runs Stellar infrastructure.  If you run Stellar Core or Horizon, when you get this, please:

If you have not installed up-to-date software by the time the network upgrades, your node will lose sync until you do.

To make things easier for you, we also published a guide with links to relevant software and more detailed information about the upgrade process, which you can find here:
https://stellar.org/developers-blog/protocol-16-upgrade-guide

It has more specific instructions, and hopefully will answer common questions about the exact steps you need to take to prepare for the upgrade.

We appreciate everyone's support, cooperation, and patience as we worked to resolve these issues, and we are excited for this upgrade to restore service to anyone who is still having trouble.  If you have questions, please feel free to reach out on the stellar.public Keybase #validators channel.

Justin

Apr 9, 2021, 3:53:14 PM4/9/21
to Stellar Developers
Hello again everyone,

I am just plucking this thread to make sure as many of you as possible are aware of the public network upgrade to Protocol 16 that is scheduled for tomorrow, April 10, 2021 at 1500 UTC

There's an upgrade guide where you can find information detailing everything you need to do to prepare your node, including a link to instructions to unstick your Horizon if it is currently stuck: https://stellar.org/developers-blog/protocol-16-upgrade-guide

One key detail: if you run a validator, make sure to arm it to vote for the network upgrade with the following command:
upgrades?mode=set&upgradetime=2021-04-10T15:00:00Z&protocolversion=16

Again, we thank everyone for your swift action and cooperation as we work to resolve the issues that caused several nodes to go offline earlier this week.  It takes a village!

Justin

Apr 10, 2021, 12:30:40 PM4/10/21
to Stellar Developers
Final update on this thread: today at 1500 UTC, Stellar network validators voted to upgrade the network to Protocol 16.  Upgrades take effect immediately, which means the network is now running that version of the protocol.  Woohoo!

For more info:
https://www.stellar.org/developers-blog/protocol-16-upgrade-complete

If you run a Stellar node of any kind, and are currently having trouble accessing the network, you probably just need to install Protocol-16 compatible software.  There's a guide to help you do that:
https://stellar.org/developers-blog/protocol-16-upgrade-guide

We really appreciate everyone's diligence and swift action over the past few days.  There was an unusually quick turnaround between the release of Stellar Core v16.0.0 and this special network upgrade vote, and it would not have been possible without a ton of cooperation and collaboration across the ecosystem.  It was amazing to see how motived, engaged, and responsive you all were.  Thank you all!