Password entry and back button behavior

1 view

Eric Raymond

Dec 12, 2009, 2:51:27 PM12/12/09
to SteelAndroid
Some minor nits:
* Entering passwords does not give the last character feedback (or any
feedback)
* Completion/suggest/correct in the keyboard does not work for text
fields. Same for auto capitalization.
* Backlight on hardware keyboard does not come on (may not be a steel
issue)
* Pressing the back button won't brinf you back up the stack to the
prior program. Pretty common to open a link from email and then want
to go back.

This may only affect android 2.0/Droid.

Thanks for a great browser!

kolbysoft

Dec 12, 2009, 5:54:34 PM12/12/09
to SteelAndroid
Eric,

I tested again on the G1(1.6), MyTouch(1.6), Sprint Hero(1.5), and
Verizon Droid (2.0), and here are my findings:

1. Password entry works just as you described, it shows the last
character typed for a brief moment, then it gets replaced with an '*"

2. Completion/suggest/correct only works on some text fields (must be
a website thing, I don't know). Auto-capitalization worked according
to keyboard settings.

3. Backlight came on.

4. Steel currently doesn't go back past the first page loaded. With a
long press it brings you back to the launcher. I could make it an
option for those users that want it to go back to the previous app,
for myself, I was exiting Steel too often when I didn't want to.

Michael

Eric Raymond

Dec 13, 2009, 12:40:31 PM12/13/09
to SteelAndroid
> I tested again on the G1(1.6), MyTouch(1.6), Sprint Hero(1.5), and
> Verizon Droid (2.0), and here are my findings:

Thanks. That's responsiveness!

> 1. Password entry works just as you described, it shows the last
> character typed for a brief moment, then it gets replaced with an '*"

I think I have the missing step. You need to be zoomed out. If I'm
zoomed in, it all works well. In the zoomed out case, you see nothing
(except maybe a spurious symbol) until you complete the password
entry ... at which point you see *'s. Perhaps the scale/offset is
messed up at zoom?

FYI, one nice feature I think the default browser has is an auto-zoom
when the "keyboard focus" is in an input field. Been a while since I
used the default browser though. Could be wishful thinking.

> 2. Completion/suggest/correct only works on some text fields (must be
> a website thing, I don't know). Auto-capitalization worked according
> to keyboard settings.

I see capitalization working now. Could be a glitch? Will keep an
eye on it.

Wonder if the completion thing is related to javascript on the form?
That said I'm not sure if I've ever seen completion while using Steel.

> 3. Backlight came on.

Probably a glitch in Android. Again, working now.

> 4. Steel currently doesn't go back past the first page loaded. With a
> long press it brings you back to the launcher. I could make it an
> option for those users that want it to go back to the previous app,
> for myself, I was exiting Steel too often when I didn't want to.

I see your point. I like the idea of not accidentally backing up too
far (unless you long press).

Given that there is a dedicated key for Home (I think all devices have
this?), perhaps a good compromise is to make a long press on Back pop
the application stack?

I think this is one of those things where you can't please all the
people, all the time.

Thanks again!

Eric Raymond

Dec 13, 2009, 12:48:32 PM12/13/09
to SteelAndroid
Thanks. That's responsiveness! My comments (and new info) below

> 1. Password entry works just as you described, it shows the last
> character typed for a brief moment, then it gets replaced with an '*"

I think I have the missing step. You need to be zoomed out. If I'm
zoomed in, it all works well. In the zoomed out case, you see nothing
(except maybe a spurious symbol) until you complete the password
entry ... at which point you see *'s. Perhaps the scale/offset is
messed up at zoom?

FYI, one nice feature I think the default browser has is an auto-zoom
when the "keyboard focus" is in an input field. Been a while since I
used the default browser though. Could be wishful thinking.

> 2. Completion/suggest/correct only works on some text fields (must be
> a website thing, I don't know). Auto-capitalization worked according
> to keyboard settings.

I see capitalization working now. Could be a glitch? Will keep an
eye on it.

Wonder if the completion thing is related to javascript on the form?
That said I'm not sure if I've ever seen completion while using Steel.

> 3. Backlight came on.

Probably a glitch in Android. Again, working now.

> 4. Steel currently doesn't go back past the first page loaded. With a
> long press it brings you back to the launcher. I could make it an
> option for those users that want it to go back to the previous app,
> for myself, I was exiting Steel too often when I didn't want to.

nexton

Jan 24, 2010, 9:28:04 PM1/24/10
to SteelAndroid
I agree that using long press on the back button to go back in the
stack would be a useful addition. Using long press to go back to the
home screen simply duplicates the home button's behavior, at least on
my device. Perhaps having an option so people can choose what they
want would work best.

-Jonathon