Steel dialog buttons

Al.R

Feb 28, 2010, 12:51:54 PM2/28/10
to SteelAndroid
It seems Steel uses its own dialog code rather then Android's
DialogBuilder, etc. As a result, the positive and negative buttons are
laid out in a way not consistent with the rest of Android.

All the dialogs in Android, when using a Builder class, set the
positive button to the left and negative to the right. Steel does it
the opposite way around. On numerous occasions I've clicked Allow in
the 'Do you want to allow popups' dialog thinking it was 'Block'.

Any change of getting it changed around?

kolbysoft

Feb 28, 2010, 2:31:10 PM2/28/10
to SteelAndroid
This topic is one of my pet peeves with Android, and one of the more
contentious subjects.
When I started working on Steel, which was almost the day that the
first Android phone became available, Android was, quite frankly, a
mess. One of the better messes out there, but still, the UI was all
over the place.
I looked at the default dialogs and they didn't make much sense. The
most common use case is the positive button, most users (sorry
lefties ;) hold the phone in their right hand, and the the button on
the left is harder to reach.
That's why I implemented my own dialogs, in the hope that Android
would eventually fix the issue.
Nothing happened.

So the question is not when does Steel follow the default dialog
style, but rather should be, when will Android catch up with the
standard rules of usability.
As much as I hate breaking platform guidelines, I hate following
broken guidelines even more.

Sorry,
Michael

schwiz

Mar 4, 2010, 3:32:59 PM3/4/10
to SteelAndroid
I rather like the way the standard dialog shows up in my apps, but I
am never afraid to build my own when needed, it only takes a few
minutes of coding and xml layout.