Theoretical Frameworks for Graphic Novels?

Jaymee Goh

Feb 11, 2012, 9:32:33 AM2/11/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

A friend was asking me if there are any frameworks for
reading/analysing graphic novels, as a form of visual literature,
exploring what graphic novels have to offer that neither text nor film
formats do. Does anybody know of any articles/books that do this?

Thanks!

- Jaymee

Jess Nevins

Feb 11, 2012, 10:20:48 AM2/11/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com

Oh, yes. There's been a decent amount written on this in the past twenty
years or so. Start with Scott McCloud's work: UNDERSTANDING COMICS and
MAKING COMICS especially. There's also the JOURNAL OF GRAPHIC NOVELS
AND COMICS (peer review) and the INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMIC ART.

Jess Nevins

Helen Hester-Ossa

May 1, 2012, 11:15:26 AM5/1/12
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
For any of you who are in the Washington DC, Maryland, Virginia area on Friday, May 4, 2012, the Library of Congress (LCPA) "What If...Science Fiction & Fantasy Forum" will be hosting Jim Blaylock at our noontime program in the Pickford Theater of the Madison Building, 101 Independence Ave SE, Washington DC. (Right across from the Capitol South metro station).

Blaylock_May_4_2012flyer.jpg