Steampunk Ethnographers

Jaymee Goh

Aug 5, 2011, 10:44:58 PM8/5/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
With the proliferation of steampunk conventions and groups online, are
there any folks out there doing ethnographies on steampunk? Taking
statistics and whatnot? The closest I've seen are documentarians, and
it occurs to me that for some of us doing more fandom-related theory,
it would be good to have some crunchy-numbers from which we could draw
some conclusions about how steampunk is developing and the directions
it could go.

But I also have very little idea on how ethnography actually works so
I might be totally barking up the wrong pipe here.

- Jaymee

Jack Horner

Aug 6, 2011, 5:22:56 AM8/6/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Not an Ethnographer, but if you are, Google + is the social network to be in. It's the first place where I've actually corresponded with Steampunks from other parts of the world.

With the help of machine translation I'm getting a different (if imperfect) view of Steampunk. The french, and Russian have seriously different takes on it.

Sent from my iPhone