British Library SciFi Exhibition

m d

May 23, 2011, 7:12:01 AM5/23/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I am not in the UK, alas, but for those who are or soon will be, this exhibition looks interesting. It starts this week and runs to the end of September.

Out of This World: Science Fiction But Not As You Know It
http://www.bl.uk/whatson/exhibitions/index.html

Melissa

Claire Nally

May 23, 2011, 7:35:56 AM5/23/11
to steam-scholars
Melissa, thanks for this! I'll be in the BL in July, so will have a look!

Dr Claire Nally
Lecturer in Twentieth Century English Literature
Department of Humanities
School of Arts and Social Sciences
Lipman Building, Room 401A
University of Northumbria
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 8ST

Tel: 0191 227 4701

Amy Montz

May 26, 2011, 6:57:10 PM5/26/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com

I will be there on Saturday.  Will report back!
Ciao,
Amy

May 28, 2011, 8:52:48 AM5/28/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I went today, and it was really lovely!  A nice mix of current and original printed books, and some really nice manuscript pages.  A few Doctor Who things (of course), including a Steampunk-looking K9.  And there was a Steampunk section of the exhibit with Anubis Gates, League of Extraordinary Gentleman, Michael Moorcock, etc.  Nicest part was a pair of homemade steampunk goggles.  Lots of great writers represented (including my personal favorite, Connie Willis) and a few nice moments devoted to graphic novels.
The shop, of course, was highly dangerous.  From a financial standpoint (the poor, poor USD).
Best,
Amy

May 28, 2011, 2:50:52 PM5/28/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the write-up, Amy!

It just so happens that Connie Willis was at ICFA this past year, and I had the opportunity to sit down and have lunch with her. She's an absolutely wonderful woman, and despite being in advancing years is sharp as a tack and hilarious to boot. We even talked about Steampunk briefly, and she thinks it's great. =)

Just thought you'd like to know!

Austin