CFP: Steampunk anthology

Lisa Hager

May 13, 2011, 4:49:09 PM5/13/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julie Taddeo <tad...@mail.umd.edu>
Date: Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Subject: CFP: Steampunk anthology
To: VICT...@listserv.indiana.edu

Call For Papers:

Steaming into a Victorian Future: A Steampunk Anthology

We are seeking contributors for a collection of critical essays on Steampunk. Steampunk remains an elusive topic even among its admirers and practitioners, but at its heart, it re-imagines the Victorian age in the future, and re-works its technology, fashion, and values with a dose of anti-modernism. From sci-fi and fantasy to websites catering to a Steampunk lifestyle, this multi-faceted genre demands greater scholarly analysis.

The editors of this anthology seek contributions in the following suggested subject areas: Steampunk film, technology, fashion, literature, art & design, gender and steampunk, steampunk fan culture, steampunk as culture and lifestyle, and critiques of existing analyses of steampunk.

Submission Guidelines: Send a 1000 word abstract in Microsoft Word by email attachment on or before August 15, 2011; include a brief biography or vita. International submissions are welcomed and encouraged.

Abstracts chosen for inclusion in the anthology will be considered “conditional acceptances” – the editors will secure the submission in the volume, but the editors reserve the right to reject any full essay that does not meet the standards (of style/content, etc) agreed to between the editors and authors. Endnotes are mandatory; illustrations are encouraged and must be secured (along with permissions) by the author and submitted with the final draft.

Editorial Team:

Dr. Julie Anne Taddeo

History Dept., University of Maryland

Email: Tad...@mail.umd.edu <mailto:Tad...@mail.umd.edu>

Dr. Cynthia Miller
Institute for Liberal Arts, Emerson College
cynthia...@emerson.edu <mailto:cynthia...@emerson.edu>

Dr. Ken Dvorak

Distance Education, Northern New Mexico College

Email: krdv...@nnmc.edu <mailto:krdv...@nnmc.edu>

Jaymee Goh

Jul 29, 2011, 1:47:47 AM7/29/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody in this here group are planning on
submitting to this anthology? If so, what have you decided to write
on?

- Jha

Sara Amis

Jul 29, 2011, 2:03:10 AM7/29/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I had forgotten about this...I have a paper I presented at a conference about world-building in steampunk that I could polish up and send.

Sara

On 13 May 2011 16:49, Lisa Hager <lisa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> --

"Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." -- William Faulkner

Lisa Hager

Jul 29, 2011, 1:32:01 PM7/29/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking about it as well, but I haven't settled on exactly what I'll be submitting. Possibly a further development of my argument about steampunk as an ecological environment. What are you thinking about doing, Jha?

Best,
Lisa

[...]

University of Wisconsin - Waukesha
1500 North University Dr.
Waukesha, WI 53188-2720
Office: 129 Westview
lisa....@uwc.edu || http://www.lisahager.net/
Twitter: lmhager
Second Life: LisaLucas Kaestner

Reminder: Use of the following words could prompt a review of your email under Wisconsin Open Records Law: "Republican, Scott Walker, recall, collective bargaining, AFSCME, WEAC, TAA, rally, union, workers, Capitol Building, protest, Madison, Alberta Darling, Randy Hopper, Dan Kapanke, Rob Cowles, Scott Fitzgerald, Sheila Harsdorf, Luther Olsen, Glenn Grothman, Mary Lazich, Jeff Fitzgerald, Marty Beil, or Mary Bell." Or William Cronon.

Jaymee Goh

Jul 29, 2011, 2:10:45 PM7/29/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Was thinking about submitting a short version of my current MRP on
postcolonial worldbuilding in steampunk, but that 1000-word abstract
is throwing me off, as well as the description of steampunk being
*anti*-modernity.

- Jha

> “conditional acceptances” – the editors will secure the submission in the

Lisa Hager

Franseen, Kristin M

Aug 5, 2011, 10:35:39 PM8/5/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I have a few in-progress articles on the evolution of the Sherlock Holmes fandom as a way of re-creating and re-imagining Victorian society, but none are really strictly about steampunk as a subculture or aesthetic. (Although I am fascinated by the over-lap between steampunks and Sherlockians!)

-Kristin

Email: Tad...@mail.umd.edu<mailto:Tad...@mail.umd.edu> <mailto:Tad...@mail.umd.edu><mailto:Tad...@mail.umd.edu>

cynthia...@emerson.edu<mailto:cynthia...@emerson.edu> <mailto:cynthia...@emerson.edu><mailto:cynthia...@emerson.edu>

Dr. Ken Dvorak

Distance Education, Northern New Mexico College

Email: krdv...@nnmc.edu<mailto:krdv...@nnmc.edu> <mailto:krdv...@nnmc.edu><mailto:krdv...@nnmc.edu>

steam-scholar...@googlegroups.com<mailto:steam-scholar...@googlegroups.com>.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/steam-scholars?hl=en.

--

lisa....@uwc.edu<mailto:lisa....@uwc.edu> || http://www.lisahager.net/

[...]

Twitter: lmhager<http://twitter.com/#%21/lmhager>
Second Life: LisaLucas Kaestner

Reminder: Use of the following words could prompt a review of your email under Wisconsin Open Records Law: "Republican, Scott Walker, recall, collective bargaining, AFSCME, WEAC, TAA, rally, union, workers, Capitol Building, protest, Madison, Alberta Darling, Randy Hopper, Dan Kapanke, Rob Cowles, Scott Fitzgerald, Sheila Harsdorf, Luther Olsen, Glenn Grothman, Mary Lazich, Jeff Fitzgerald, Marty Beil, or Mary Bell." Or William Cronon<http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/03/have-you-no-sense-of-decency-the-wm-cronon-story/73010/>.