Anybody else doing this?

Jaymee Goh

Sep 22, 2011, 2:48:48 PM9/22/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Hello all!

I am finally done my MA! On steampunk and postcolonialism. And now I'm
thinking about PhD projects! It's exciting. I still want to work on
postcoloniality, but I'm also really interested in talking about
technofantasy--since technology enabled the project of modernity,
which involved colonialism, then what does technofantasy enable, given
capitalist, cultural cannibalistic consumerism so pervasive in
steampunk (which both enables steampunk's potential as a social force
and reinforces late capitalist infrastructures)? Because I'm not very
convinced that technofantasy is anti-modern (unless we're talking
modern as in turn-of-the-century modernity, but then, we live in fin
de siecle times ourselves AGL TEMPORAL SPECIFICITY WHERE ART THOU),
but rather, informed by post-industrial modernity, which involves
neocolonialism. So, basically, technofantasy and neocolonialism's
relationship in steampunk.

So my first question, is there anybody doing work on the following
subjects in steampunk?
- technofantasy and anti-modernity
- consumerism
- relationship between technology (or forms of) and steampunk fandom
- technology and nature

And the second question is, if you are, can I pick your brain?

And the third question is, if nobody else has already hooked onto this
as a project, are there any schools which would let me do such nerdery
in their grand halls?

Thanks in advance, peoples!

- Jaymee

Lisa Hager

Sep 25, 2011, 7:22:29 PM9/25/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
I can't think of anyone who's doing this work in relation to steampunk, but I would check the journal Neo-Victorian Studies to be sure. I would suggest looking for programs that have a strong interest in the digital humanities and cultural studies (along with postcolonial studies, of course). Anyone have any suggestions for potential programs?

Best,
Lisa

P.S. Who all is going to TeslaCon in Madison, WI? I'll be there!
--

University of Wisconsin - Waukesha
1500 North University Dr.

Courtney Stoker

Sep 25, 2011, 8:03:20 PM9/25/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
If I remember correctly, U of Toronto has some professors doing stuff in steampunk and neo-Victorian lit.

--
Courtney Stoker

courtne...@austintotamu.com
www.austintotamu.com

K. F.

Sep 25, 2011, 9:10:29 PM9/25/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Although more of a broad survey of steampunk literature, the man behind the Steampunk Scholar blog pays attention to a lot of the gendered and racial issues in neo-Victorian literature (and he's especially critical of things that unquestioningly glorify imperialism). He's also working on revising his doctoral dissertation on different aspects of steampunk fiction, so he might be a resource for friendly programs. (http://steampunkscholar.blogspot.com/)

Oh, and I just see you've been on roundtables together at the Canadian National Steampunk Exposition, so you're totally familiar with his work!

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
-Kristin

PS. I'll be at most of TeslaCon (except for a two-hour gap on Friday where I'll be at musicology colloquium).

Jaymee Goh

Sep 26, 2011, 1:17:41 PM9/26/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the UoT rec, Courtney! I'd forgotten that it has a PhD
program. I can't seem to find the profs who do steampunk but I imagine
I can just email and ask. (Also, Linda Hutcheon is there! I did not
know this!)

Kristin: Mike and I have had Long Conversations on Race In Steampunk!
I remember looking up Mike's work for something to help with my MA
argument only to find whatever he was saying that I wanted backup for
was basically him quoting me.

I also kind of assumed he'd be on this list for some reason...

Lisa: My parents may come up for my graduation ceremony, which is on
that weekend, so I may give TeslaCon a miss =( Ay-Leen will be there
though!

- Jaymee

Yuri Cowan

Sep 26, 2011, 1:26:27 PM9/26/11
to steam-s...@googlegroups.com
The likeliest person at the University of Toronto is Professor Christine
Bolus-Reichert; not sure if she's published on the subject yet, but know
that she has taught courses on it. Not sure who else among the faculty
might be working on the subject.

Yuri

--

Dr. Y Cowan

Postdoctoraal Onderzoeker / Post-Doctoral Fellow
Research Project on Authorship as Performance
Vakgroep Engels / English Department
Universiteit Gent / Ghent University
Blandijnberg 2, B-9000 Ghent
Belgium